How do you guys clean your clone engines?

I'm new to the dirt track. I like my stuff clean, but I've always been told you don't wash a race car. Generally I clean everything with a wet rag, and some simple green. On asphalt our stuff just doesn't get that dirty.

I've got clay dust everywhere in all the nooks and crannies, and the wet rag isn't cutting it.

Are you guys using the hose in anyway?

Yes , I put a cap on the air filter adapter and the end of the silencer , spray the entire motor with the Wal Mart brand de greaser , let it foam up a few minutes, then power wash the whole kart down . Never had a problem doing it this way . Just take off the clutch and temp and tach guage before washing and your good to go .

We use Simple Green Aviation aluminum cleaner, spray and let sit a short time before taking the garden hose to it. Engine capped, as others told you. Looks like new.

You can also blow it off at the track with your air hose .
Or at home . Tooth brush for the small spots .
Be careful about spraying the engine with carb cleaner et all . It can wash off some paints .

We pull the motor, front hubs, rear axle, chain and body off the kart.
Motor remove clutch, cap off any openings, spray with simple green, hose off, dry with air gun.
Kart same way.
Hubs and axle get taken apart, bearings re moved, cleaned oiled and put back together.
I do pretty much the same except don't remove the body. The engine comes off the kart and gets sprayed down with a fruit tree type pump up sprayer with hot water and degreaser. The kart gets the same followed by a rinse with the garden hose.
Once everything has been cleaned I airhose everything, spray with WD-40, airhose again, then wipe with a clean rag.

For clones I bought a special parts washer. You just throw them in and hit the silver switch …. 😂
28DBAEDE-1C74-4F7A-8817-4533A61A8469.jpeg

I never use a water hose since I got it clean, not
Always worried I'd cause damage even though Ford said its safe to use water on my F 350.
Just can't miss a month because then it would become more difficult to get it back clean.
I use my Engine Degreaser from Griot’s Garage - https://carhelpo.com/best-engine-degreaser/ (there are another variant) around the areas that or dirty,like around the valve cover.

been racing over 30 years, I have always washed with a water hose, let dry some outside then blow off with air in all the little crooks and cranies , that's the whole kart not just the motor, then I spray it down with a lot of WD-40, I have a " WD-40" rag I call it, its the same rag I use each time so it has a lot already on it, and I wipe it, looks like new. About every other time depending on how dirty is was , I pull bearings and clean them.

Soy sauce and wipe down with wonton wrappers to get in the tight corners?
Back in the beginning . It was not a problem . Rule changes every year meant a new engine anyway .
Back then they was cheap enough .
400 dollars vs 225 for updates .

We spray with aluminum cleaner, let it set 10 minutes, and hose them down. Yes we put carb caps on, yank the wheels off, and clean with the garden hose followed by taking the axle out, and front hubs along with cleaning the bearings. Doesnt take very long at all.

Back