How in depth do your tech officials go?

Another thread had me wondering about the tech process in different areas of kart racing. I've been fortunate enough to have finishes that required me to go through tech. Most of the time fuel is checked along with one or two other items (most races are paying <$250 to win). Sometime it's the carb other times it's lift and duration, etc. I don't recall ever seeing an engine tore down that wasn't protested or for at least a $1000 to win race. At some of the $1000 to win races I've been to the tech is non-invasive (meaning minimal / to no re-assembly required). The tech person will check carb, cam, springs, stroke, and CC, but the head or side covers don't come off. Other times at the $1000 to win you know the winner is getting tore down.

I'm curious to know what others experience with tech are?

I hate to say it but honestly it depends who wins the race at my local track. There is always the one guy that wins and then they don't tech the class but the moment he isn't there or gets worse than 3rd they tech top 3 and check a bunch of stuff. I don't know if it is this way at every track but I hate that they do it because there is one guy who never gets teched and I have heard the tech guy and him talk before and he said we wont tech you because he is close with them. It makes me mad as a racer with a legal motor who passes tech every time that they wont tech him. It is only this way in predator but I don't run Clones so idk for my local track but there was a track favorite in JR3 who won like 8 races last year and she would smoke everyone and they teched her everytime and so that was good and she always past tech and then at the season ender they tore her down and she was 100% legal everytime.

But I have had fuel checked, Valve Springs Check just a visual check. And timing key check as well as the carb. And this is for the predator class.

A good tech man watch’s the race. If the top few karts can fit under a blanket why tear down. That being said I have never once been to a race and said to myself I hope I don’t get torn down. In all reality it’s just gaskets.

Here in FL, I've yet to see much more than a flashlight shined through the carb and restrictor plate visual check. In all our years of racing I've seen a valve spring pulled once at a $500 to win stock heavy race...

I was leading a points race and during a caution they had everybody stop and they checked my RPMs ON THE TRACK!?! with around 7-8 laps to go. I asked the tech mans friend what that was about and he said i was just GONE. lol At the end of the race i never saw them look at so much stuff. pulling the carb smelling the filter blowing in tubes etc. the last points race they checked me over pretty good. Feel like they wanted someone else to get that jacket. I'm legal but i still sweat a little when they check always feel like there gonna find something i didn't know about

Last edited:
Local tracks can be shady as heck... one our our (used to be) favorite local tracks now has a tech guy who builds 50% of the engines in my sons class... every time we beat them they look "thoroughly" at our stuff and of course look at nothing of their own... :)

We half tracked their "favorite" in JR2 a couple years ago and all of a sudden we had a torn intake gasket that was "intentional" and were DQ'd.. :)

Both of those situations blow .
Then you have the tech man ask is everybody good . Yep , yup and I'm good .:)
Top .3

Here in FL, I've yet to see much more than a flashlight shined through the carb and restrictor plate visual check. In all our years of racing I've seen a valve spring pulled once at a $500 to win stock heavy race...
You were just at The World 100 not long ago, they tore down a good amount.

This was our Clone engine after we won the Boogeyman last Oct at Twister Alley Raceway in Mo.
Ours was the only one torn down that far..........passed tech!

Attachments

• DSCF1455.JPG
    DSCF1455.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 191
How often is it to come across an illegal clone? I know predators is super common but how about clones. Most people I know have always passed tech and teardown with clone motors.

This was us last year for a $500 to win box stock race. Passed🤘
Wish my track did that!!!! They tear down at the money races but usually only 1 class and in predator they tech flywheel key, carb, and valve springs but yet some people still manage to not pass tech. Put it together and race, I guarantee if you are racing and legal you will have a lot more fun than If your cheating, I had a blast! And if you win with a legal motor you will feel like a better racer, tire guy, and chassis guy because your combo won while being legal. It is so fun to win and know you are legal!

People who frequent my tech shed know to be ready for anything.
I respect that and don't have an issue with my engine being looked. I feel confident that my builder is giving me a legal piece to race with.

I read Don's article and in my experience the tech officials I've dealt with met the criteria noted in the article. Although I've assembled several Dover kit engines, and never experienced any issues with them, I'm not an engine guru. If you were going to tear me down to the level shown in your attachment on an engine that had a few races on it for let's say $100 I would decline tech and forfeit. If the engine was getting close to being due for a rebuilt or the pay day was >$300 I'd likely say have at it.

The deal with the angle on the valve seat and not pulling the head had me wondering how often are people having heads pulled or the bottom end torn down. Another thing that would be interesting to know is on the more invasive tech procedures why did tech take it that far?

Back