how long to recondition

foreverfaster

Site Supporter
so i'm cleaning away at a buyout motor that i've played with this summer... never checked anything just put it on and ran it around.

How long do you experts take to clean disassemble check tolerances and re assemble and rebuild. new rings, bearings if there is any, check cam specs. ect.
i've got 1.5 hrs in cleaning the exterior, pulling the top plate off. completely cleaned the carb, check all the parts for size and reassembled.

just trying to see how long it takes everyone else.

That's pretty good .
I've never just took one apart cleaned , checked and reassembled one .
You honed and washed it in that time also ?

Take as long as is needed. There is no set amount of time required - each engine is different, just like their owners.
Cleanliness makes the work environment much better, and cleanliness on assembly goes a long wat toward preventing unnecessary damage.

Ultra-sonic cleaning of parts like carburetors have certainly simplified our lives here in the shop.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Buy a compression gauge, check the engines compression after every race. If it starts going down, do a leak down test, that will tell you if it's the valves or rings leaking. She

Compression is the Holy Grail, absolute "."It's

Take as long as is needed. There is no set amount of time required - each engine is different, just like their owners.
Cleanliness makes the work environment much better, and cleanliness on assembly goes a long wat toward preventing unnecessary damage.

Ultra-sonic cleaning of parts like carburetors have certainly simplified our lives here in the shop.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
What do you use for a cleaner for your carbs in your ultra-sonic cleaner. I have a Branson 1510 but have not used it for carbs.

Ancient Chinese Secret. No, really! ;)

Honestly, there's a lot of homebrews that will work fine.
Lestoil is one that has worked decently for me in the past.
I've used our Green Apple Tire Clean with great success as well.

Ancient Chinese Secret. No, really! ;)

Honestly, there's a lot of homebrews that will work fine.
Lestoil is one that has worked decently for me in the past.
I've used our Green Apple Tire Clean with great success as well.
Honest question, do you keep your secrets due to a performance advantage, or a "tricks of the trade" idea?

As an example, in my line of work we share a lot of information on what we do custom to Excel and CAD, but there are a few things we don't share due to them being "special" for just us to play with.

Honest question, do you keep your secrets due to a performance advantage, or a "tricks of the trade" idea?

As an example, in my line of work we share a lot of information on what we do custom to Excel and CAD, but there are a few things we don't share due to them being "special" for just us to play with.

Some are performance advantages, sure.
Not necessarily on this issue, however.
There is no "one is best for everyone" answer to this type of question - akin to "What oil is best?"
To each their own.
Actually, I'll refill my tank with our Green Apple Clean later today. It works very well...but if I were to claim that it were "best," I would undoubtedly be accused of just trying to sell something. LOL

Some are performance advantages, sure.
Not necessarily on this issue, however.
There is no "one is best for everyone" answer to this type of question - akin to "What oil is best?"
To each their own.
Actually, I'll refill my tank with our Green Apple Clean later today. It works very well...but if I were to claim that it were "best," I would undoubtedly be accused of just trying to sell something. LOL
Fair enough, I just didn't know if there was 1/2 a HP in what cleaner was used, or something to that effect.

Back