How many classes is too many?

Think about the fans for a minute as well. Watch the same karts single lap qualify for 5 classes. Prayer & anthem then watch same karts race in 5 classes.......

Then we ask why no fans come?

We gotta do better at looking in the mirror when asking these questions. Imo

Think about the fans for a minute as well. Watch the same karts single lap qualify for 5 classes. Prayer & anthem then watch same karts race in 5 classes.......

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: sorry but :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: fans?!?

The only "fans" in the stands around here is the wives and kids that don't want to sit in the trailer and smell prep all night. Lmao

See, that would be a good program -- 7 classes for 21 races is easily do-able in 4 hours. It's when you have 21 (plus!) classes that you see how this gets stretched out exponentially and 2am becomes the norm. That's the premise of the entire thread.
Yeah I get it I was just stating how our local track operates. Do most tracks even run two heat races anymore? When we went to Sturgis KY last winter they did an hour and a half practice, qualifying which took absolutely forever and then a couple hour intermission then racing took off and next thing you know you have sat around for 13 hours to get 23 laps in. Kinda kills all the fun for me.

At some point the three karts and you have a class just needs to end. Track owners simply need to put out that they will not be accepting new engine platforms, so no one needs to buy them. All over the country many of you thought the clone was the road to nirvana. Now after 15 years or so they still do not have a very stable rule set. Why would anyone think that the Predator, Ghost or whatever engine of the month will do anything to stabilize the situation? With that being said the original promoters of the clone actually did a pretty good job. Pull it out of the box and run it for beginners and Builder Prepared for the more experienced was a pretty good starting point. Until the experienced messed it up by running against beginners.

Last edited:
We use to practice, qualify and then split into 3 groups [slow, medium, fast] by qualifying time to set up the heats. A break out time was set so if you sandbagged for a slower race you would most likely go too fast in your heats and be moved up to the next class. This format somewhat let you pick how much effort or money you wanted to spend also and it kept the racing close. There were no motor or tire rules and trophies were in all 3 classes.

This seemed to work pretty well, it provided a place for the beginner or older karts, a place for a guy to move up as his tuning and driving skills progressed and a place for the hard core guy to run.

It was a real good feeling when you left the track after setting quick time and winning the fast guy feature.

Bob K.

At some point the three karts and you have a class just needs to end. Track owners simply need to put out that they will not be accepting new engine platforms, so no one needs to buy them. All over the country many of you thought the clone was the road to nirvana. Now after 15 years or so they still do not have a very stable rule set. Why would anyone think that the Predator, Ghost or whatever engine of the month will do anything to stabilize the situation? With that being said the original promoters of the clone actually did a pretty good job. Pull it out of the box and run it for beginners and Builder Prepared for the more experienced was a pretty good starting point.
on a normal Sat. night the predators out number the clones by substantial numbers. I no longer race the predator because of several issues, but it did bring me back to the sport. the predator is doing what the clone did for the sport, give it a big shot in the arm. only time we see clones in any numbers is when the track puts up big $$$. the three kart classes around here are the clones.

Proved my point........

Wonder why it won't grow? Or why we lose kids to box stock or 600 racing? hmmmm
sorry running in multiple classes and getting a lot of seat time is what makes karting great. 99% of the people out there think racing in a miniature convertible is not that big of a deal. When was the last time you saw 'FANS' at a AYSO soccer game or a slot car race? I'm glad you think highly of our sport i really do. But watching a kart race from an outside perspective is Boooooring. try telling your local track to only let the racers run in one class a night LOL

I think our home track has 14-16 classes. I've consistently encouraged the board members to start earlier. Traditionally they've started practice at 4p and if anything goes wrong (i.e. timing system trouble, a lot of cautions or red flags etc.) there is no chance of getting out of there before midnight. My kids race JR1 and JR3 and their B races are the 2nd and 3rd to last races of the night. Karts on the track at 1p or 2p would get everyone out of their earlier, build in some time for the unexpected, and allow many different classes to compete.

Back