how many races on maxxis?

Tim913

Ok I've got a rookie tire question, How many races should I get on a set of Maxxis pinks and blues on a red plate jr kart? The lines on the side are fading but the little hole to show tread depth is still there.

On a red plate rookie you can get away with used tires that have the edges knocked off (normally.)
We've cut the shoulders on Maxxis for lighter/slower classes on low/no bite tracks. For higher bite surfaces and bigger tracks, you will want the full shoulder for roll speed. Band-aid would be to get up on air and add more bite to the tires until you can get some new ones.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
35 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

On a red plate rookie you can get away with used tires that have the edges knocked off (normally.)
We've cut the shoulders on Maxxis for lighter/slower classes on low/no bite tracks. For higher bite surfaces and bigger tracks, you will want the full shoulder for roll speed. Band-aid would be to get up on air and add more bite to the tires until you can get some new ones.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
35 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
Confused on how more shoulder would give us roll speed, can you elaborate on that? I'm really thinking backwards on this I guess. I would think the shoulder would give more bite on a low bite track.

Confused on how more shoulder would give us roll speed, can you elaborate on that? I'm really thinking backwards on this I guess. I would think the shoulder would give more bite on a low bite track.
Of course Brian's answer will probably be better. But, lower bite tracks tend to use a rounder tire. So that it rolls onto the carcass of the tire and doesn't break traction. It gives it a softer sidewall, flexes the entire carcass of the tire more so that it can conform and when it rolls onto the carcass into the corner it doesn't break traction. Effectively increasing contact patch on the surface.

More meat on the sidewall does the opposite, it stands the tire up on the edge of the tire more, effectively decreasing the contact patch and gives it a stiffer sidewall. Running on that narrow contact patch will give you more roll speed, along with the increased stiffness of the sidewall helps as well. This is why it burns the edges off on higher bite tracks and the tires will lose roll speed and slow down.

If we're talking solely about roll speed - consider the spring rate of the tires. The more that has been cut/worn/removed from the shoulders, the lower the spring rate in the sidewalls. You can counter that with higher air psi, but then you lose sidebite, so you go to chemicals to get the sidebite back. Also, the more a tire has been run, the more the sidewalls flex and breakdown (lowering the spring rate.) The old Maxxis ELs were a prime example of that, but all tire sidewalls break down over time.

With a new (or uncut shoulder) tire, you've got a stiffer spring rate to start with, so you don't need to bump up air to get better roll speed. Flat cutting between the wear dots gives you a thinner, lighter tire that still has the full shoulder and better roll speed.

The shoulders and sidewalls are what determines the spring rate of a tire...the center (even the shape of the contact patch) matter very little for spring rate.

Increased spring rates yield better roll speed.

Honestly, if the track is any decent the more wore out the tire is, the better it is for Red Plate (usually). Most Red Plates run old wore out tires from adults that are good and light, and re roll them and they rip!
Depending on how comfortable your driver is handling it, you can run tires that are wore slam out. Run them until they won't run anymore. at ~245 lbs you can run the LF forever.

Back