how many tires

Man you can run with 2-sets.a buddy of mine ran with 10 tires out the back of a f150 with a camper shell and was the guy to beat for 3-4 yrs,till he had a auto crash and put him out of racing.prepped tires w wd40

Depends on how competitive you want to be and what kind of prep you use.
Some harsh preps are (once and done when used on a set of Burris) for the night, necessitating a "fresh" set each time the kart hits the track.
Other preps, the tires can be run all night with good speed. It's just a matter of how hard the tires are worked.

Of course there's no limit to the number of tires in your "arsenal." More choices are always a good thing, as long as you know how to make the "right" choice at the "right" time. A trailer full of tires is only an advantage if you know what to do with them.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
34 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

How many tires does a guy really need for mainly running local stuff and a few big races
You mentioned you had 12 sets and had plans to visit at least 3 tracks in a previous post. 12 sets is a respectable amount for local racing. It sounded like you had mix of new and used but it was heavily weighted towards new / thick tires. I mentioned I don't know the tracks so I can't help identify what the ideal tire library would look like for 12 sets. Did you talk to the person you bought your tires from?

If you're not prepping heaving and the track doesn't change much you may be best to run the same set all night. In my experience the track normally stays the same or gets better. If the track get's better (read as the lap times are faster) you'll need to decide if it's picking up moisture so you can prep differently, or is it better to go to a fresher tire, or sometimes the track is building bite so you go to a tougher tire. There are more scenarios but this should give you an idea of how to think about it.

If you're prepping heavy you'll want to have a tire rotation of a minimum of 2-4 weeks. How often do you plan on racing? What engine platform are you running and how many classes / night do you plan on running?

I suspect you have enough sets. You just have to figure out if they're the right sets for the tracks you want to visit. Then you'll want to figure out if you need to rotate out older / thinner tires for new / thick tires.

We are a small team( my son and I) and we go to whatever track we are running with 3 sets of tires. 1 old set in case track is bad, a decent set for heats and our best set for feature. All prepped at the track after looking at track and seeing how much bite is being built as the night goes on. All duroed and staggered with either a letter or number designated for each set. You can use paint marker, sharpie, or chalk to designate each set.

Back