How Many Tracks have a 14.5 Cid Class

Jimbo

You can fool some of the people some of the time
Where are the rest of the rules, if any?
I'm interested in ones that allow OHV engines.

The rules are very simple for this class; Any flathead block/engine, rated at 5hp. Stock, or aftermarket blocks are allowed, and up to two carburators are allowed. Everything else is open.

I'm interested in ones that allow OHV Briggs or other engines.

I don't think that there's an organized class anywhere, and consistent set of rules for the open OHV. Certainly not one where there is a 14.5 limit.
I think if people would look a little further into how to build and what to do, simply with the 5hp. Briggs, as an open engine, they would find that a lot of these other engine options aren't necessary. The late generation "raptors", for example, are as strong/durable as any other stock block out there.

Billet heads, sidecovers, etc. have always been allowed in the 14.5 open class. Aftermarket blocks have also been allowed, (Blockzilla, JR Racecar, etc.) but if an individual track or organization wants to allow only the stock blocks, that's certainly understandable.

Tracks in this neck of the woods run a 'small block open' class which has a 14.5 c.i. limit. We see a few pumped up Animals as well as clones and predators.

It's a great idea to have an open class, but with a C.I, and engine limit. It always makes it more competitive and affordable, and ultimately more people will show up and run these classes because they know what to expect/ how to build to be competitive. I suspect that this is also the reason why the UAS, and other groups like it, are struggling. I used to race in the UAS here in Fl. as well as other classes. When they started allowing every conceivable engine to run, including the Jawa, Wankel, Rotax, etc. and with almost no C.I limit, the class started to fall apart- almost immediately. It became too chaotic. The UAS started doing this nationally, and now, predictably, they are having problems all over the country. As a result, local groups have turned to doing their own thing, with rules or engines specialized for their track or region. I understand perfectly why the 'small block' open classes are becoming more popular. This would also give the WKA 14.5 open engines, such as run at the Big O race, GKK, and elsewhere, more places to race.

I suspect that this is also the reason why the UAS, and other groups like it, are struggling. I used to race in the UAS here in Fl. as well as other classes. When they started allowing every conceivable engine to run, including the Jawa, Wankel, Rotax, etc. and with almost no C.I limit, the class started to fall apart- almost immediately. It became too chaotic. The UAS started doing this nationally, and now, predictably, they are having problems all over the country.

I don't know where you are getting your facts from, but you could not be more wrong. Since the UAS started allowing the Jawa, Wankel and other engine types, they have become the fastest growing class in the USA. Last years UAS Grand National had around 55 karts show up, and that was with a SouthEastern Hurricane blowing wildly, that kept about 25 karts from the deep South from attending (the big sissies didn't want to drive to/from in 100-150 MPH winds !!!). Some of the tracks have tried to run a local RWYB series and some have even tried the small open classes without much success. They have mixed the 2 and 4 strokes in a 'Limited Outlaw' class in the Carolina's and had some decent turnouts (Kent Holyfield has been running them). You mention the Big O and GKK races but failed to mention that they also ran a UAS class (that has gotten bigger each year).

While you may like the smaller CI open classes, some of us like the Big Power classes and I personally think there is room for both of them in kart racing without distorting the facts about either of them.

Here's where i'm coming from:
I'd like to support this class by making parts specifically designed for it but not if there is only one track (in some neck of the woods of Ky)
No offense Mike :)

I don't know where you are getting your facts from, but you could not be more wrong. Since the UAS started allowing the Jawa, Wankel and other engine types, they have become the fastest growing class in the USA. Last years UAS Grand National had around 55 karts show up, and that was with a SouthEastern Hurricane blowing wildly, that kept about 25 karts from the deep South from attending (the big sissies didn't want to drive to/from in 100-150 MPH winds !!!). Some of the tracks have tried to run a local RWYB series and some have even tried the small open classes without much success. They have mixed the 2 and 4 strokes in a 'Limited Outlaw' class in the Carolina's and had some decent turnouts (Kent Holyfield has been running them). You mention the Big O and GKK races but failed to mention that they also ran a UAS class (that has gotten bigger each year).

While you may like the smaller CI open classes, some of us like the Big Power classes and I personally think there is room for both of them in kart racing without distorting the facts about either of them.

If some people like to run the UAS under their current rules, that's fine. I support having groups like the UAS in general, and especially the RWYB 4-cycle classes. They've always had an important place in karting and I wouldn't want to see them die. The emphasis of my posting was on the potential of the small-block, open 4cycle class(es). Of course there will always be some places where the idea never really catches on. But if there is a consistent, simple, and easy to remember set of rules for this class, it could really attract a lot of people, grow the overall number of participants, and give more of the people starting out in the stock classes something more to look forward to, and even aspire to. Most people will not be able to build or compete with the ones currently in the UAS, for many reasons. But if there was consistently something else available to race in, something in between just the stock classes, and the Unlimited All-Stars or RWYB, I think the classes would grow, and karting in general would grow. I have a later model Briggs 5hp. block, with the 1 1/4" intake and 1 1/8" exhaust seats installed to make it an open. I've done some other machine work to it as well, and would like to build it the rest of the way into a ~14.5 in. engine, and sell it. It would be a great engine to run at the Big O, or any place that has a 14.5 open class. I've been out of karting for a while, doing other things, and just have not had the time to finish it. But I'd love to build it up for someone, and I could use the extra money right now. I'll post some pictures of it, and also explain the methods I came up with for making the manifolds, a billet cylinder head, and billet side cover, for a fraction of the cost of new ARC or JR Racecar parts.

Here's where i'm coming from:
I'd like to support this class by making parts specifically designed for it but not if there is only one track (in some neck of the woods of Ky)
No offense Mike :)

I know you've made a lot of parts for the OHV engines. I think that most people who are handy with a mill, drillpress and grinder would find these methods to be very accurate, yet very simple, practical and easy to understand. Also very inexpensive..

our local track has a "small block open" class, clone, predator or animal with limited modifications allowed and must run hoosier treads with a 360lb total weight minimum, 8-10 karts nightly, there were a few times when some opens showed up and all ran together, had as many as 16 those nights...the track is looking at running the small blocks weekly and then opens once a month this coming season....very popular around this area....

Sounds like a great plan. That's pretty much exactly the kind of scenario I was thinking could happen.
I'm having some trouble posting the pictures I took, because I took them with my phone and it's saying the images are too large.
The idea behind what I'm trying to do here is to take away the mystery and a lot of the complication behind building an open, and to show how it can be done by those people who are good with tools and some machinery, who might be interested in building some of these engines, but simply don't know how, and don't want to pay a fortune for someone else to do all the machine work, and then still have to buy all the parts. There have been books and full articles written about how to blueprint a 5hp Briggs, Animal or Clone, how to build a competitive stock class engine, etc. But as far as I can tell, no one has come up with a thorough, comprehensive guide for building a good open 5hp. That is probably because there are a lot of variables, preferences and ways of doing things among different builders of these engines. But there are guidelines, tools and methods, etc. that are good for anyone.

Spin
What do you mean by limited modifications allowed?

Spin
What do you mean by limited modifications allowed?
No stroker cranks, billet blocks, heads or side covers, and no 2 cycles.... Also mandate grooved tires and 360lb weight minimum.... rules that are simplistic to check each and every night....

HMM, So you can use what ever bore you like but not a stroker crank?

Back