How Many Tracks have a 14.5 Cid Class

Have run at Delaware Ia. in both the Modified 390# class and a combined Open class. Track is very flat and has little to no bite most nights. Both the Animal and Honda are stroked and are very competive with the Opens. No Blockzillas or billet heads are allowed in the Modified 39O# Class the way the rules read. A stock appearing kt 100 can also be run with a limit on the cc's. Open fuel and tires is part of their rules also. All parts for the Animals we run have been bought thru Faster Motors and were a cheap way to build up some of the stock Animals we hadn't run in a long time.

Nice nod to the 2's with the inclusion of KT....would make my choice easy. Base engines available for $300'ish and some port work and big walbro with atomizer... Sounds like a fun class to run.

Fun class and fun track to run. Not a huge horsepower track but always nice to have power to spare. 4 cycles have their strengths and 2 cycles have theirs on this track. Sometimes we just decide to throw in with the Opens and all have at it.

Been running a limited outlaw class in nc&sc for the last three years with pretty much the same rules fun class. All about having fun and having power to race instead of follow the leader.I'm a 2 smoke guy and around here a a/s yam better be really good and right at weight to get it done. We see a lot of reeds and rotarys that have trouble with some of the 4cycles. The 4cycles like those that run the Big O are real trouble for a Yam ,not to mention a good s/a yam isn't Cheap so most will run a reed or rotary just my 2cents Chuck.

sorry, not trying to be a smart aleck or anything, just curious, where did 14.5 cubic inches come from for a baseline rule? I think that equals approximately 240cc's....stock clones are 196cc, animals 208cc, and black predators 212cc's....which would leave some room for enhancements by those with either/both the money to pay somebody or proper tools/machinery to do it themselves, which would also require tracks to have a qualified techman with proper teching tools...which seems to contradict the intent of the class?

well that doesn't seem to make any sense...using an old "flathead" rule when most everyone is running either a clone, animal or black predator..... :confused:

The Briggs & Stratton Raptor engine features a bore between 2.56125 and 2.5625 inches and a stroke of 2.438 inches. This corresponds to a total engine displacement of 12.48 (204.67 ccs) cubic inches. Briggs called it the model 12.
So you can see that you were allowed to make some modifications to get to 14.5 CID (237.8 ccs)

The Briggs & Stratton Raptor engine features a bore between 2.56125 and 2.5625 inches and a stroke of 2.438 inches. This corresponds to a total engine displacement of 12.48 cubic inches per engine cycle. Briggs called it the model 12.

Ahem

Model 13

130232 was a popular model number for racing.
Maximum bore and stroke that would fit in the stock block netted near the 14.5 cu. Inch limit.
.060 overbore, and plus .200 stroke, specifically.

Ahem

Model 13

130232 was a popular model number for racing.
Maximum bore and stroke that would fit in the stock block netted near the 14.5 cu. Inch limit.
.060 overbore, and plus .200 stroke, specifically.

I thought same thing:)

Sorry guys years ago i built a ton of WKA legal FLATHEADS but i never built a 14.5" FLATHEAD.
Since the Briggs OHV Animal came out in about 1999 i've been out of the flat head business and i don't miss it
:)

Where are the rest of the rules, if any?
I'm interested in ones that allow OHV engines.

Jimbo, Several tracks out here my way running 14.5 SBO Class.... 14.5cid Max, Cast Block, 6.5hp or less from factory, 3/4" pto shaft is basically the main rules. Some allows Billet Heads, some don't. Billet side covers legal. Raptor, Blockzilla, Animal, Clone, Predator all legal to run. Any stroke, any bore, any cam, any valve train, any carb, any intake, any exhaust, any flywheel, any ignition. Doesn't matter what you have as long as your not over 14.5cid

the most important thing with any class, this one included, is TO NOT MAKE RULES THAT YOU CANT OR HAVE NO INTENTION OF ENFORCING, say what you will, but IMO, that's the biggest killer of any class in any form of racing, nothing more sure to turn people off is for someone "claiming" to have an engine within the rules that goes out and put a major ass-whooping on the field, then goes to the tech area afterwards, and the tech man more or less waives them on through....just some food for thought.....

The 14.5 WKA rule was originally 14.2 until the mid 90s when WKA decide to give us .3 more. As far as I know Hortman was about the only crank, other than stock, made for 14.2 flathead opens back in late 70s early 80s when WKA Started the Open class. He made stock stroke and + .100. I think .140 was the biggest piston weisco made for flatheads, you could run that with stock stroke or .100 overbore with with .100 stroke. So originally the 14.2(14.5) rule had to do mostly with rod and Pistons available.

Just giving the Iowa area racers a heads up. They're trying to get a Iowa series UAS, Jr UAS, and 14.5 c.i. class series going. Meetings is this Saturday. Will post any info for those interested.

The rules in general for the above proposed series is 14.5 ci 390#, kt-100 gas 370#, kt-100 alky 390#, open tire, no Blockzillas, no billet heads. Will run series along with UAS rules karts. Tracks and dates TBA.

Doesn't make sense to me some how people always want to force a stock kt100 against modified stuff and then call the kt. weak. Why not s/a kt? Just my 2cents Chuck.

Back