How much additional power does overbore give you?

spotteddawg

EVERYTHING else being equal on a stock appearring flathead breathing through a mostly stock carburator casting, how much additional power does a large overbore give you?
Example: I went 20 over, so that I could potentially bore again. What would the HP advantage be if I had gone 40? 60? 80? Again, same EVERYTHING but bore and piston.

Actually, there is very little gain from std. bore to +.030". When we built limited modifieds back in the day, there were builders that insisted on punching them right to .030" I built a particular limited that align bored .010", then bored it to .030" and there was no measurable gain - not even a tenth. Now, when you jump to +.060" there is definitely a gain -- mostly because you are getting the bore closer to the IN valve seat in my opinion. You will definitely see a gain from std. to .060"! As per an actual measurement of CHP gain, honestly, I've never run back to back tests from +.060" to .080", etc. It will be a chp gain, but minimal. Keep in mind that while you are increasing bore size, you are also increasing piston weight.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I don't know what the stock bore and stroke is on a flathead, but I can give you some numbers for a clone. A .030" bore increases the displacement by about .002%. This will decrease the compression ratio by .017. Assuming everything else stays the same, such as the position of the piston, in the hole.

There's a whole lot of things to consider and you may have to change some things. A bigger bore gives you more CC's yes, but also affects compression ratio and the CC's in the combustion chamber. A bigger piston will also effect the balance of the engine. A heavier piston would mean that the engine will balance at a lower rpm.

There's so many things that get affected by a bigger piston, it's hard to say how much it will affect the horsepower.

A bigger bore may not be the answer, there may be other things to consider.

There are two popular sayings; 'there's nothing like more cubic inches", and "compression is the Holy Grail". Both are very true.

Tell me your present bore and stroke, along with combustion chamber CC's, head gasket thickness, and how far the piston is in the hole, and I can give you a closer set of numbers.

From the desk of Al Nunley
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory. (Al Nunley)

Alvin, this was purely theoretical- when I sold an engine I had listed as a "stock appearing" with a 020 overbore, I was told by one potential buyer that I had left a lot on the table by not going larger- my feeling was why use it up after the effort to port/ releive it? save some bore for later! Brian's insight is uniquely flathead- that may be what the guy was referring to. BTW, I gave the guy a heckuva deal regardless! Thanks, guys!

Al, I think that first quote would be "There's no replacement for displacement."

The way I've always heard it anyway.

Also -- we're on flatheads here when figuring compression and CCs. Be careful.

Stock appearing can mean a lot of different things to different people. For some, it means an engine that won't pass WKA tech (but plays the part) for a couple hundred dollars.
For others, it's a +.450" billet crank, Wiseco high compression piston in a +.100" over sleeved cylinder, billet long rod, a 458 lift cam, big valves, a 3 HP billet flywheel, and an .875" bore Cyclone carb to the tune of about $2800!

Increasing the displacement with the combustion chamber remaining the same the compression ratio will increase. C/R is swept volume (CID) vs combustion chamber volume , increase swept volume results in a higher compression ratio. Example, 100cc swept volume with a 10cc combustion chamber results in a 10:1 C/R, increase the swept volume by increasing bore size to = 110cc with the same 10cc combustion chamber results in a 11:1 C/R. -- Chuck

Back