How much do you reckon starting a new track costs?

viice

Seems like there are some knowledgeable folks around here who may have an answer to something like that!

New Dirt oval, and you need everything, Buildings, lighting, equipment ?
Hypothetical of course:

1/6-1/8th mile.
Land, Parking Area, Timing Stand, Lighting, Stands for spectators. (Insurance)
Budget equipment (provided it get's the job done and keeps the drivers/fans coming back)

Then you would have to pay off the county and line the pockets of the leadership so you can get the proper permits and zoning.

Then you would have to pay off the county and line the pockets of the leadership so you can get the proper permits and zoning.

Depending on where you're building...Chicago I'd agree!
Zoning and building permits aren't as daunting as you might think. Getting variances requires some effort (leg work) on your part and a lot of handshaking and promise making.

There's really too many variables to giving a single answer here.
I've seen tracks built with little to nothing invested (ground has ample clay already, owner/farmer already owns equipment, good/free water source available, lights donated by a local car lot, etc.)
and I've seen tracks put in with mega-dollars, new(er) equipment, commercial catch fencing, professional lighting and PA system, etc etc.

How upscale do you want to go, and does your clientele merit your investment?
Are you in this for the long haul (15-20 years?) Renting/Leasing property may be a better option than owning and paying taxes if you do not intend to commit to the next 20 years of summer weekends.

I've tossed around the idea of having a track, and every time I get half way serious about it, I realize that I don't want my family tied down every weekend of every summer. That's a pretty clear indication that you're not called to be a track owner. It takes a GREAT amount of commitment and sacrifice by the entire family to operate a track - something that I just can't see myself doing 15 or 20 years from now when I'm 70 years old.
Sure, it's fun for a summer or two, but if you're not in it for the long haul, you're going to leave a lot of people hanging when you close the gates.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Then compensate neighbors that have to deal with the noise and traffic.
Insurance? no such thing to protect the land owner, one bad accident and everything you own could be in jeopardy.
Best you can do is buy or lease the land through an LLC, and thats not 100% gonna protect.

Then compensate neighbors that have to deal with the noise and traffic.
Insurance? no such thing to protect the land owner, one bad accident and everything you own could be in jeopardy.
Best you can do is buy or lease the land through an LLC, and thats not 100% gonna protect.
The neighbor issue is legit, but hopefully the county will work with you, like they have us in GA. Insurance can be bought though, to protect the land owner, because we're in the process of adding more for ourselves at the moment.

The neighbor issue is legit, but hopefully the county will work with you, like they have us in GA. Insurance can be bought though, to protect the land owner, because we're in the process of adding more for ourselves at the moment.
Dont fool yourself on the insurance, I was part of 2 lawsuits against race tracks both the outcomes wasnt good for the land owners, 1 had to sell the land, track, equipment and his personal home to settle, this track hosted some of the biggest races in the country every month and done everything by the book and insured to the hilt.
The other was one of the best oval facilities you ever laid your eyes on, the man that owned it also owned the Drag strip on the same 1000 acres, this one was crazy, it was a spectator injured after the steering wheel came off a champ kart and went through the fence hitting her.
Kicker? she was in an area that was roped off with 3 strands of caution tape, a sign saying do not enter, and was told not to be in there twice.
This man had plenty of money, so he just ended up selling the land and all of its contents to settle.
here is what the last one looks like today
https://www.google.com/maps/@36.3925291,-83.0836348,157m/data=!3m1!1e3

Well, fortunately we don't have that bad of experiences yet, but have had some situations in the past. Hopefully, we won't ever come across anything like this.

Well, fortunately we don't have that bad of experiences yet, but have had some situations in the past. Hopefully, we won't ever come across anything like this.
the waivers that everyone signs coming through the gate, isnt worth the paper its wrote on,

Contact Henry Moree At Paradise race track in Dillon SC he did that a few years back. He will know exactly what it cost him. Good business man.

Back