How much ignition timing

zenawarrior

on a modified GX200. I'm running the MSD programmable unit and wondered how much max timing from 3000 to 11000 in increments.

There is no "right" answer. The amount of timing that any particular engine is not a set amount. I very superior flowing head with a well blended combustion chamber that is super efficient will need less timing. A domed piston super high compression ratio alky engine may need a lot of timing. Domed or raised pistons typically need more. Gas needs less. Dished pistons typically need less than even flats. Pistons with high dollar top coatings need less. Smooth is all up very well. Blend everthing smooth as silk. Use the absolute lowest octane you can without detonation. Test, test, test. I am sure you will also find that the timing will need to change throughout the rpm range for optimal performance too. Quality of fuel can vary so the timing needs may also. Good luck

Kart43 nailed it
The last time I ran that setup was about 6 years ago. There is no power gain, but you can get a acceleration gain if you use a super light aluminum balance on the flywheel side as the trigger.

But now you can just buy a super lite flywheel and be done with it

on a modified GX200. I'm running the MSD programmable unit and wondered how much max timing from 3000 to 11000 in increments.
I wasn't referring to the timing for a MSD unit, only that I can change timing on the run. You wouldn't run 32 deg @ 2000 rpm or 20 deg @ 11000, but there must be an apprx. timing for given rpm as jsstump correctly state. Many camshafts has got recommended timing despite not being related, I guess only related to the rpm the cam will make the engine turn. I will run it on a dyno and try different timings. I didn't feel any improvement with the MSD (note I said feel) but raced its sister engine on the weekend and it was noticeably faster

Back