How Much is TOO much...(Oil)?

sCREamnClones

Has anybody performed an extensive study on the maximum amount of oil that "can" (not should) be used in a Clone on a 10* mount before the crankshaft starts slapping (whipping) the oil? I've got a crankcase vent in the side-cover that shows NO trace of exiting oil/vapor and a 3/8's vent line on the valve cover (both) going too a secure, well-vented catch can and the valve cover vent is expelling 'lots of whipped' oil (looks like a strawberry milkshake) after 3-4 laps! BTW...my oil return hole is Only 4mm (.158). "Bingo...the light is on"!! Again...this is a '10 degree' mount! Thanks for any input.

You might want to take a long look at the windage tray from Raceseng they are available for both stock and ARC rods And yes they do work.Will turn that strawberry shake to cool-aid,Just be sure to check for interference from everything

....I am considering that. The 1st thing i'm doing is making a plexiglass side-cover so that I can 'see' where the height/'contact of the oil is at the various mount angles. I may have 'had' this problem all along becuz i've Always run 'more' oil than most (in-stockers) but....now i'm buzzing '8k' and things get more 'exciting'! I will also open up the 'return' hole! Thx 4the the input!

One thing "MOST" people don't understand is aerated oil might as well be sand as far as bearings and lubrication go; But you seem to know which end of a screwdriver to hold,So I don't mind sharing some of my 50+ years of engine building experience. Did you look at the video on Racesengs site? experience=knowledge!!!

....Agreed! I've seen the video and am giving it some thought. I am currently looking a-bit deeper into this area and i appreciate ur input. But....What do 'We' old-timers know? :)

I did the plastic cover several years ago and posted pictures on this site, but they are now gone. I will check an old laptop for the pictures, if not I still have the block and cover but no time. These engines require a tremendous amount of air movement to the top end to carry the oil mist.

i'm one of them old timers...been involved in some aspect of racing for over 50 years....only recently with karts.....but the way i figger it....if the oil starts coming out of the valve cover or carb....then you might have put just a touch too much in.....and to me.....venting a block is also a way of say you didn't tighten sumpthin, over tighten it, forgot to put it in or yer foot was faster then yer motor was....

i'm one of them old timers...been involved in some aspect of racing for over 50 years....only recently with karts.....but the way i figger it....if the oil starts coming out of the valve cover or carb....then you might have put just a touch too much in.....and to me.....venting a block is also a way of say you didn't tighten sumpthin, over tighten it, forgot to put it in or yer foot was faster then yer motor was....

Yeah....the young'uns don't believe it, but....the older WE get, the 'smarter' WE get! (Did't ur 'dad's' tell you the same thing?) God Bless them!

my dad was quick with praise, but dang it...he was even quicker with a "yer a dummy!" lol!! i wish dad was still here to watch my son and i race...i know he is, but having him here would be better. dad always said "put yer foot down and hold it there....don't be afraid!"....lived by that since...got me flipped once and up on two wheels a few times, but i passed that on to my son and he gained his first feature win this year.....

yeah....we get smarter and them youngin's think they invented the world.....ain't nothin they can do that we didn't do first and get yelled at when we were thier age....

What oil?
I've found aeration to be more of an oil problem than a level problem, I run almost 20oz in my small clones on a 15* mount.

Back