How much Left % is too much?

BrendanFitz #73

Kart is an 05' Phenom. Normally running SS-33A's with LS1 or LS2. I'm at 410lbs in the kart, Running Sr. alcohol animal. Just been struggling with either a push or a kart that wants to whip it around in the corners. Track is 1/6 mile with little banking. K3 in Kankakee Illinois if you know it.

So this problem surfaced only after the last weekend I raced. Put the kart on scales and ended up with like 60% left and 68% cross, Front was around 46%. I'm just a little confused (maybe a lot) but my seat is almost all the way to the right without the strut hitting the clutch arms. LR is also all the way in as is the RR.

Will try to get all my numbers and percents when I can.

Changed out an L-block with a very tight bearing on my RF, could this cause a problem? Had no other choice because the L-block on there was bent.

Also started the year out on a 5* LF asphalt spindle so my kart would only get completely out of whack camber. Had an X-Factor for an ICON so I put that on the LF. My RF also has an X-Factor. Will the X-factors do anything other than help me get higher cross? LF is about in the center and RF is all the way down.

Second year that I'm racing with my dad, been using the Phenoms for almost 4 years and just now starting to figure his 06 out. I can't put lead much of anywhere because im so heavy, but if I absolutely need to I will. Any help is greatly appreciated just wanting to get the kart a little more consistent instead of chasing it every week.

I double check the scales just about every time I set the stand up and the scales are pretty accurate. I check my weight between a digital bathroom scale and when we scale the karts we check driver weight first and each pad is reading correct (99% sure 1% for human doubt lol)

Thanks though. :)

Where youre racing at, i doubt very much that you would need left at 60%, try 58. If its an XL seat, RR strut should be at about 3.75" off motor rail.
Fix this and ill bet you will be happier.

Alright I'll check where my seat is at asap. I don't know exactly how I got to 60% but I swapped out my left side strut because it was junk and it jumped up almost 3%

I checked and the inside of the strut (closest to seat?) Is 4 1/8 off the motor rail.

Still got a couple weeks just want to get my numbers straight.

I agree with the lower left: 57 to 58. Is it an XL seat? If so you can put the RR strut at 3.25 to 3.75 and don't forget the front: make sure it's centered to the steering upright. Changing the strut shouldn't have caused a 3% jump; sounds like something may be bound up.

Todd
www.dynamicsofspeed.com

Yes its an xl lighting light. I'll try to get the left % down and would cross being that high would it be good or bad for a driver my size?

68 cross is quite a bit. It's not over the top high but it's pretty high. I'd drop it to the 64 range, get the kart working, and then start easing it back up to see what works best.

Todd
www.dynamicsofspeed.com

K3 I'd be

62 cross
57-58 left
46.5 nose
+.5 lf
-2.75 rf

Low air and if you are on LS1/2 you are nowhere near aggressive enuff. LS3/4 would be better for you. I'll be there Sat. (with ur certificate) if you need anything!

Eric Askren

Back