**How Much Oil**?

Thanks guys. Having to re-learn everything sucks. I used to always run 13 oz. in flattys but I didn't know about these.

Use 14-16 oz of oil you will not find any power using 12 why take the risk. There is no measurable power gain between 16 oz and 12oz I have done back to back dyno runs to test this.

Use 14-16 oz of oil you will not find any power using 12 why take the risk. There is no measurable power gain between 16 oz and 12oz I have done back to back dyno runs to test this.

+1

A guy I build for got away with 8 oz by mistake with no damage believe it or not. I was amazed at how little oil the engine could survive on.

+1

A guy I build for got away with 8 oz by mistake with no damage believe it or not. I was amazed at how little oil the engine could survive on.

I watched one go 3 laps no oil after side casing came loose. It then shut down on its own. Thank goodness it just needed new rod bearings and piston rings (just to be on safe side). No other damage.

yep and when the night is over its done blowed out 4 oz of the 16 oz you started with so now you down to 12 oz. , by the way never said it was a gain in hp .

We have always run 14 ozs of Predator light in are pro clone engines with no problems. But we change oil every weekend ! :)

HP gain or loss was simply a statement to assure racers they were not leaving anything on the table by running an adequate amount of oil. Findings vary, My engines never blow any appreciable amount of oil out. A full day of racing oil level would not go down 1/2 an ounce, we drain into a measured clean containor, so oil can be inspected.

We have ran as little as 12oz with no problem. However we discovered that with 14oz the engine ran cooler with no loss of power. With 16oz it was the same as with 14 and nothing in the catch can. At 18oz we incurred some power drop and had about an ounce and a half in the catch can. So we run 14oz now as there was no advantage in running 12oz. If you put in 16oz or less and you blow out more than a 1/2oz, something is wrong with your engine.

I pre-measure my oil. Get a the mini Gatorade bottles it says 12 fl oz it comes out to around 12.2 oz. once I get to the racetrack I have 4 bottles with me pre measured and ready to go.

We have ran as little as 12oz with no problem. However we discovered that with 14oz the engine ran cooler with no loss of power. With 16oz it was the same as with 14 and nothing in the catch can. At 18oz we incurred some power drop and had about an ounce and a half in the catch can. So we run 14oz now as there was no advantage in running 12oz. If you put in 16oz or less and you blow out more than a 1/2oz, something is wrong with your engine.

What 'angle' mount?

motor mounts generally come in three "degrees"....one is flat (0 degrees), the you have a 7/8 degree mount and then a 15 degree mount. the degrees moves the front of the motor down and the rear of the motor up when it's mounted in the chassis. now, with the oil...everyone is going to say what amount they use and you will find that it varies according to the track they are on, what motor the have....and what they prefer. best advice is to use between 14-16 ounces of your favorite and keep track of what you pull out! if you use 14 and pull 12 out and the engine felt like it was a little hot, then increase...if you use 14 and pull out 14, then your doing good! I run 16 ounces of royal purple...never have any oiling issues. I change it out once every two race nights (I run on asphalt). I always measure what I take out so that I know what is going on inside the motor. using oil? time for a rebuild!! no oil loss? everything is working right!

I run gas, so I've never really had that problem...but your right....alky has a tendency to get into the oil. but you should still keep track of what you take out. depending on your engine, it will give you a good indicator of how much fuel is getting into the oil....and regardless of the type of fuel, it is diluting the oil, which is not a good thing!

I run gas, so I've never really had that problem...but your right....alky has a tendency to get into the oil. but you should still keep track of what you take out. depending on your engine, it will give you a good indicator of how much fuel is getting into the oil....and regardless of the type of fuel, it is diluting the oil, which is not a good thing!

And this is why I run FHS62R:) Change it after the practice then after the heat.
then start all over again for the next week.If I run 14 I can get away with only
changing it after the heat.but don't like doing that.

Back