How new of a cart chassis do I need?

Southeastern

I am just curious if there have been any significant/major changes in the past 20 or so years. I found an Ultramaxx Centerforce chassis near me for around 1200. Looks decent, but wanted to make sure an older chassis like this (2001) would still be legal/compliant/competitive in dirt oval racing in Indiana. Thank you all!

Would still be legal, provided it's in good condition could still be competitive for local Saturday nights points racing, every chassis new, newer, older, or old in today's karting is only as good as the tires bolted to it for that race, at $1200 it's at best over priced like 25 % and then it better be great condition, a 2014 or newer would be better suited.

Good luck !!

That kart should be somewhere around $600 as a roller. If it's $1200 WITH engine, might be worth it, if engine was legal. For reference, I bought a complete Centerforce roller about 2 years ago for $400, without body. Brakes worked, though.

It's overpriced. I would get ahold of the local track. Hopefully you are in Southern Indiana because the tracks up in north Indiana are no longer there. We have to drive to Ohio to race. Also get ahold of local engine builders like Brian Carlson. He can will direct you the right direction.

I still don't see my now old 05 and 06 Tempest slower than most modern karts. Of course after all these years they have flexed and so, but at least for local and regional racing they are fast. Anyway open engine racing might be more forgiving or even better on some older chassis, stock classes might need to take advantage of any minimum improvement though.

I'd save the money, if you're really looking to spend that, you can find a newer chassis in that price range. Honestly, whatever your price range is, I'd start shopping for the newest kart you can find in that price range that fits what you're needing. Be it just a chassis, or an entire package, that dictates more as to what you should be expecting for your money.

Just a chassis no engine you can find some decent 2010-15ish Karts for that. Entire package and you're going to be around the early 2000 model range. Find your budget and go from there.

If it were me, I'd look in the 2010 and up range and make sure the budget came along to get it at some point.

Lots of good accurate advice above, I would like to add that if the kart is in good shape and not bent, an experienced and competitive racer might be able to run up front with it. A novice? Forget about it. Kart racing or any racing is not easy. Buy this thing and you will be looking to upgrade real quick or you will give up. Many of us tried buying junk, including me and only regretted it real soon. And to illustrate how bad of a deal that is, the first new kart I bought was a 2000 Coyote. I paid around $1,400 including freight, a set of tires, wheels, and body, all brand new. Welcome to karting it is a blast!

Last edited:
Karting is a blast. It is even more fun when you are competitive. So make sure you get something that you can work with. Set a budget and see what you can do from there. Good luck!

I still don't see my now old 05 and 06 Tempest slower than most modern karts. Of course after all these years they have flexed and so, but at least for local and regional racing they are fast. Anyway open engine racing might be more forgiving or even better on some older chassis, stock classes might need to take advantage of any minimum improvement though.
Man i agree with you.anykart can be fast especially when u have tons of experience dealing with a certain kart over the yrs.a new kart every yr is for people who have the money to throw at it.so they swear by it bc 3800$ is nothing to them.or they rack up the mastercard debt and file bankruptcy.

Man i agree with you.anykart can be fast especially when u have tons of experience dealing with a certain kart over the yrs.a new kart every yr is for people who have the money to throw at it.so they swear by it bc 3800$ is nothing to them.or they rack up the mastercard debt and file bankrup

Man i agree with you.anykart can be fast especially when u have tons of experience dealing with a certain kart over the yrs.a new kart every yr is for people who have the money to throw at it.so they swear by it bc 3800$ is nothing to them.or they rack up the mastercard debt and file bankruptcy.
i have seen more of the last ones, going bankrutcy or not paying the kart shops. If I have been way over 25 on this is because I have alwayscspent what I could pay for. Now I can spend way morevthan I could just because I didn't go crazy back then.

Back