How old is to old of a chassis for saturday racing?

Attachments

• 45576F8C-DE4A-4620-BBCF-2082D537A3CA.jpeg
    45576F8C-DE4A-4620-BBCF-2082D537A3CA.jpeg
    59.2 KB · Views: 44
Wear and tear is what means the most. New "pipe" is most always better. Flex things enough and it is just not the same. What you need to know is how to adjust for the non-flex in the older chassis. I had a much out dated chassis but ran upfront and won races on it. I dont care what anyone thinks but tire temps are "King". PERIOD!

Mike McCarty
The "Original" Chassis Manual

It all depends on what you are looking for. What you need to know is, what works for you on the track that you are running on. Tires these days are "King" plus your prep program. To me tire prep killed karting. It is why I got out of karting. Your focus needs to be on tire prep plus your overall setup. Just remember, air pressure is your friend. The more the better, to a certain point. Plus, air pressure determines tire spring rate which is key to all chassis handling. In what I have seen, most run too little air pressure.

Mike McCarty
Msquared The "Original" Chassis Manual

Hey bud
They aren’t joking
The competition in the Midwest at the tracks you run at are nothing like the southeast
That just shows the difference in competition across the countrie
Good Job on your win though man it shows you are better than the competition
But in all honesty a lot of us on here wouldn’t stand a chance against most. But there are some on here who would smoke us and be able to stand there own with the completion in the southeaste
I'm just gonna say this. I have an old Infinity Helix chassis and that Kart on dirt is fast whether the scaling is right, stagger is right or even if tire size is right. Its a very forgiving, run as is anywhere, chassis.

I'd consider what class you're thinking of running. Not sure if they have them down there but if you can find a class that runs unprepped treads as their tires you'll have a more enjoyable experience IMO. I can go buy a brand spanking new chassis with the perfect setup but if my slicks are crap because of the wrong prep program, then I'm going to get lapped.
We ran a no-prep Hoosier tread class and I had WAY more fun doing that over any slick prepped class I've ever ran. The money investment in a tire program is what I think is killing the sport. We went and bought a new set of treaded Hoosiers, sized them through heat and ran em every weekend with no work besides cleaning with soapy water during the week. The dirt that came with the tires after every heat was the same dirt that went back on for the next race that day. No cleaning, no prepping. So incredibly relaxing and because of it, I was able to meet so many new people and socialize and chill because we weren't spending every freaking second between heats working on our tire program. I ran an '05 Rage Dagger that year (2020) and won the points championship. We had a big traveling series come through and I placed 3rd in a field of 20+ so don't tell me old stuff isn't competitive. I wish more tracks would bring back treads. Add the no-prep rule and you'll see some FUN racing with more than just 1 line to run and somewhat sideways karts.

There are a few really good old karts that still perform well, maybe not the best in the southeast (I didnt see that you were there wanting to run the best or are in the southeast),
Phantom Nemesis is one, also an Ultramax Octane Blaze. Both in the 2005 era. I am sure there are probably one or two more that would be fine for your weekly racing.
I bought a 2004? Phantom Nemesis. Son raced it for several years and I bought him an Icon. I took the nemesis and ran it for several years , Was the best kart ever about tires. Just get them close and it will fly. Then I bought a Seraph. Sold the Nemesis to a friend of mine. He beats me on a regular basis. So grab the Nemesis if it is in good condition and not bent!!!!

Just a thought is maybe the more flex you have or get in your chassis the stiffer your axle needs to be?

And the more stiffening you need to do the the right rear portion of your chassis and again ?????
... yes there are things you can do to stiffen up the right rear area of the chassis which includes the axle.

edit: And vertical loading physical or dynamic are the only things which can increase grip.
Anything else as far as transferring forces from anywhere from any direction other than above, reduce the amount of grip the tire is using.

Last edited:
Back