How old is to old of a chassis for saturday racing?

my 2012 Slack Axiom has beat every new kart out there including Ulatramax rivals, Prodigy Cadets, Slack Pursuits Phantom scythes etc. I don't believe there is any magic in any new chassis that puts it hands down above the rest. when you have your kart hooked up with the right ratio and tires you will haul the mail.

You can buy all new kart, new engine, new clutch and 2 new sets of tires..........or shop smart and patiently get more for your money.

I tell people all the time it isn't the big items in this hobby that kill your budget.

It is all the less than $50 parts that add up quick. Wheels, gears, clutch drivers, etc.......

The amount of people who ARENT willing to spend money in the right places always amazes me.

Racers will spend $100 plus every weekend to go to their local track, but wont bolt on $120 worth of tires every few weeks, or pay $500 to get a motor rebuilt.

It's like spending $4000 on a precision rifle, then shooting the cheapest ammo you can find. Why even bother?

The amount of people who ARENT willing to spend money in the right places always amazes me.

Racers will spend $100 plus every weekend to go to their local track, but wont bolt on $120 worth of tires every few weeks, or pay $500 to get a motor rebuilt.

It's like spending $4000 on a precision rifle, then shooting the cheapest ammo you can find. Why even bother?
what if your precision rifle is a 22lr?

Then buy match grade ammo for it if you want it to shoot well, or hand load them.

Do you run dry rotted, corded tires and an engine that smokes like a chimney on a 2012 Axiom?
I ran one set of 2021 tires all last year. took several wins several poles and several fastest laps. No it was not against the "pros" but Saturday night racing.
22lr is the cheapest ammo compared to most if not all other ammos i was just making a joke, lets all lighten up. however match 22lr is still cheaper than 9mm ball.
i have also seen $800 CZ 457s out shoot $3500 voodoos so same analogy... its now what you got but how you use it.

I ran one set of 2021 tires all last year. took several wins several poles and several fastest laps. No it was not against the "pros" but Saturday night racing.
22lr is the cheapest ammo compared to most if not all other ammos i was just making a joke, lets all lighten up. however match 22lr is still cheaper than 9mm ball.
i have also seen $800 CZ 457s out shoot $3500 voodoos so same analogy... its now what you got but how you use it.
Lapua X Act is 36.00 box of 50
9mm Winchester is 26.00 a box

Lapua X Act is 36.00 box of 50
9mm Winchester is 26.00 a box
your paying too much. And only proves the point of this thread you don't need the best of the best to win. 22plinkster nails bullseyes all day long with cci standard. And plenty of people win every Saturday night with older stuff. Seen plenty of people with latest and greatest chassis national level engines and top tires go out there and take last place.

your paying too much. And only proves the point of this thread you don't need the best of the best to win. 22plinkster nails bullseyes all day long with cci standard. And plenty of people win every Saturday night with older stuff. Seen plenty of people with latest and greatest chassis national level engines and top tires go out there and take last place.
I didnt say I bought that ammo, im fine with my cci as well, probably need to shoot some of the older stuff up, I know most of the 22 mag stuff is 25 yrs old lol
My sons 50 BMG, talk about a money waster

I believe the original question had to do with racing at your local Saturday night track.
With that said, there are some Saturday night tracks that are not very competitive and others that are very competitive. Also depends a LOT on how much grip is available in the track surface. Most Saturday night tracks, the track prep isn't stellar and car counts are relatively low, so the track never gets real "good," ie bites up hard.
I wouldn't hesitate a second to take one of our 2005 AO3 chassis to a local Saturday night track and be competitive for the win against ANY year kart. Likewise, you could take an '05 Phenom or '13 Triton and win with it locally. Seen it done regularly. Now, will those chassis be as competitive on a higher bite track with competition on later chassis? Likely not.
The evolution of kart design to accommodate higher bite (tracks and tires) has lead to running ultra-high cross and a different approach to how the weight transfers. For example, you could never plug 70%+ in an older chassis and expect it to work anywhere near what the newer chassis do.

Actually, PRC did remake some older chassis (specifically for syrup racing.) That's a whole other genre, but consider how many years the Phenom was the dominant kart on syrup tracks?

It's not about the year as much as it is matching the chassis design, spindles, tires, driving style, set-up, etc. to the track.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
He’s talking about Tri County Kartway and it’s a high bite track with a decent surface and the competition is close every week.

Don't fret over this too much guys. I ended up getting 3 karts for free just need to put motors on. I got a 2012 charger, a 2011 predator, and a 2005 phenom. Do I think I will go win on any of these ? Not with out time spent figuring tires out and hoping I hit them and nobody else does. But that is fine. I'm probably gonna run hobby. But I mostly wanted to get my oldest 2 boys on the track and these karts will do that. If they show they really want to do it maybe I'll spring for something nicer next season or the one after that. Or at least 2 that are the same chassis so I don't have to chase multiple setups from different companies

He’s talking about Tri County Kartway and it’s a high bite track with a decent surface and the competition is close every week.
Yea, if you're expecting to be competitive with the front runners on a "bite-up" track, you or I wouldn't bring either the Phenom or the older Charger there. Now, if he's just wanting to make laps and get the boys' feet wet, they'll work just fine.

Kinda like bringing a 22 to a gun fight -- You might be really good, or really lucky, but the guy with the 45 will have an advantage.
Hey, at least we're all in agreement on 2A. LOL

Hey, at least we're all in agreement on 2A. LOL
I've heard it said not to take a knife to a gunfight....but what about a tactical spork? I store it in the end tube of my '99 Banshee.
1647950910753.png

05 Phenom, 11 Predator, and 2012 Charger. Out of the 3, the Predator is the most questionable and that is only because (from what I remember), they were quite often changing things. It was definitely capable at the time up in the Northeast. The Phenom set off a change in karts that focused more on weight transfer instead of the lack thereof. The Charger is a solid entry that I would guess would be the easiest to get relevant information and support for. They should all be competitive at most local tracks with appropriate homework and preparation. I would plan on replacing bearings, spindles, axle, and seat struts as those items wear out before the chassis.

I'm fairly certain that tri county is not what you would call an average local track. I have only watched but they are always fast there and on the newest chassis

Now I have a different question. Out of those three karts what should I put the kids on. I have been tossing the idea around to let them both drive the same one since they are the same size too a tee and they run 2 beginner red plate races. An "a" and a "b".

Now I have a different question. Out of those three karts what should I put the kids on. I have been tossing the idea around to let them both drive the same one since they are the same size too a tee and they run 2 beginner red plate races. An "a" and a "b".
Nemesis or the Charger. For Red plate it’s more about getting the feel of driving.

Back