How should a cut tire feel/look?

Lucky_7

Ive recently starting cutting tires and I need advice on how the tires should look and feel after cut. These are used d30s that have been prepped before, but overall they still had around .150 tread depth. After a few cuts I took a look at the tire to see how the machine I built was working and am pleased to say it works better that expected. Rpm is about 350, using Windex or alcohol for cutting fluid, and light cuts.

So of course the tire was glossy from the smoother finish, and very very sticky, not gummy. Sticky to the point I can put my phone on the tire with slight pressure and roll the tire over, phone will eventually fall off, but after a few moments. I'm on the fence if this is good or bad. I am very new to tire prepping as well so I don't really know what a good tire feels like anyway. Any help is much appreciated.

Sounds like you might want to keep them a little cooler while cutting. Use straight methanol while cutting and you may want to try freezing them. If they already feel sticky then they will probably get worse when you go to resurface them.

.150" tread depth after cutting?
D30 Hoosier?
The D30 hasn't been made/offered in 8 years or so. That was a natural rubber tire and should be very sticky without no prep.
If it's a newer D30A tire, then it sounds like you got the tire too hot during cutting/finishing and it got gummy.
Finishing with lighter pressure and more coolant (I prefer Windex non-ammoniated window cleaner) is best. Too much pressure/heat and they gum up on you. Getting rid of that gum can be a real chore -- more coolant, courser grit paper, freezing, and/or lots of time.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

.085 after cutting, and yes, d30a. I figured it got hot, it's a learning process. These tires were prepped pretty heavily. Rolled inside as well, which we learned was a mistake later. We still managed to get strings of rubber while cutting. I think we may need to order a bit from you.

Back