How to? Best way?

kepner

I have a new set of maxxis. Ultimately I want them to duro 48 ish in 2/3 months. First question: how or best way? Second question: venom bite green I have, and it says internal only “once” 2 to 5 days before race. Does this “once” mean ONLY ONCE for the life of tire or only once before EACH race? Is Venom Bite Green aggressive prep, why only once? We have 2 tire sets a piece, that’s it.

I have Grape and Black Sand and PRW Orange with DRT. Don’t really want to buy anything else and make it more complicated. Tires RIGHT NOW, duro about 70.

Can we do internal several times per season?

Better tell guy's where your going to race them.
:). Gotcha. Not really looking for
advice for particular track BUT generally what is a commin
way you move a maxxis tire from
70’s duro to low 50’s duro, with the preps I have above? Start couple
months before season, do all week before, and can we
internal several times through season?

And Jimbo, I may be hollering soon for a couple more adjustable motor
mounts.

:). Gotcha. Not really looking for
advice for particular track BUT generally what is a commin
way you move a maxxis tire from
70’s duro to low 50’s duro, with the preps I have above? Start couple
months before season, do all week before, and can we
internal several times through season?

Normally with a fresher tire you would do as instructed with the prep, and might re roll 4 to 6 months later depending on what you needed, but to take a tire from 70 to 50 and stand any chance of getting it to work you'll most likely need to roll internal twice before the race, I'd start wiping them down outside with your choice of what your using getting them with in 10 points of where you want them, then 2 weeks before race I'd roll internal, then again 3 days or so before the race I'd re roll inside again, then finish outside as needed to get what you want. Note you got about a 2 % max chance of that being the tire needed for the race.

Good Luck !!

And Jimbo, I may be hollering soon for a couple more adjustable motor
mounts.

[QUOTE="racing promotor, post: 796669, member: 117

[/QUOTE]
Spot on response. Thank you. We are going to have 2 sets each, and if we miss it on some nights, so be it. We are just having fun, not points racing full season etc., but we want to be competitive and have been, winning some races too. Local track, not National type events. I will have a set with higher duro and one with lower duro. You gave me the info I needed, some generalization on the process. (y)

Race Promoter: I think I got my Jimbo's confused. :) Thank you again for your response and helping me in the past.

First off if you have a Maxxis that duro at 70, either you have a tire that needs to be re surfaced, a tire thats very old, or a tire thats had very aggressive prep in it and has hardened up. You have to figure out which it is.
If it just needs re surfacing, that tire may actually be a 55, give or take a little, on duro.
If its a very old tire, IMO you are wasting money trying to prep it to be competitive, unless racing a low duro goat type track.
If its had very aggressive prep, once you re surface, apply some heat and prep, you may already be at your desired duro, if not softer.

You can re roll the Green. Thats just generic instructions. Im more concerned on why the tires are so hard. How old are these tires and do you know anything about them?

If you check a tire's duro at 50* vs 70*, it most certainly will make a difference. Colder tires always punch harder than warmer tires.
If I'm recording duro on my personal inventory of tires, I try to take my readings at all the same temperature, whether that's at 70* or whatever, just be consistent.
Here in Indiana, we seldom have scorching hot days in summer, but days under 70* are rare as well. Racing in other parts of the country would dictate what temperature you'd want to check your tires at.
Ultimately, you're concerned with what they duro at on race day. Simulating that as best as you can will help.
Whatever method/temperature you choose to use, be consistent.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

And a longacre durometer (if that's what OP is using) will also be higher than numbers most are use to in the tire business that use an intercomp durometer

Back