How to deal with drivers who cause issues on the track

Have this issue at the local track, happens more often than not. One single driver always bumps to pass in corners. Usually results in the lead car getting moved out of the way and gets passed. Happened to me multiple times and sometimes resulted in me going off track and losing multiple positions. You return the favor not gain the position and he gets mad at you after the race. They never get held accountable… how do you guys deal with people like this?

I get the rubbing is racing mentality but there’s a point where you don’t deserve to be ahead of someone if they only way you can get around them is buy sending your bumper into them.

Have this issue at the local track, happens more often than not. One single driver always bumps to pass in corners. Usually results in the lead car getting moved out of the way and gets passed. Happened to me multiple times and sometimes resulted in me going off track and losing multiple positions. You return the favor not gain the position and he gets mad at you after the race. They never get held accountable… how do you guys deal with people like this?

I get the rubbing is racing mentality but there’s a point where you don’t deserve to be ahead of someone if they only way you can get around them is buy sending your bumper into them.
People don't know how to race anymore. Nobody cares about passing clean anymore. It's all about just knocking someone out of the way. I see it everytime we race. Unfortunately it's not going to change until these tracks actually practice what they preach. Sooooo it's either deal with it the best you can or stop racing.

Trivial stuff like this, double starts when there should always be single file starts, tire and overall expenses, cleaning the things all got in the way of my enjoyment. I could race one for a couple thousand dollars just to go tear stuff up, or I could pay 10 bucks to sit in the stands and have a good time.

The bump and run is a part of racing, always has been, always will.
Now, many guys havent mastered it yet and that is a problem, its different than someone that is slower than you and runs over you just because, and the track needs to handle those types.
Guys that know the bump and run, will tap you a couple times letting you know they are there, most times they will just push you down the straights, and click off laps, unless pressured from behind and if they are faster than you, you can bet its coming.
Just the nature of karting from the dirt side.
As laps decrease, aggressiveness increases.
If someone is intentionally wrecking people, the track owner needs approached, if nothing is done time to find another track

Last edited:
People don't know how to race anymore. Nobody cares about passing clean anymore. It's all about just knocking someone out of the way. I see it everytime we race. Unfortunately it's not going to change until these tracks actually practice what they preach. Sooooo it's either deal with it the best you can or stop racing.
I agree. I always try my best to pass clean only bumping in straights. It’s more fun that way. Nothing beats a clean undercut. I try to race people the way I want to be raced, but some people think it’s for the NASCAR Championship, when it’s just a local kart race with no money or trophy for finishing first.

More details bumping you in rear pushing you into turn washing you up the track then cutting under you ?
Left rearing you running ya over ?
Or getting under you a little then 8 tires are better than 4 ?

More details bumping you in rear pushing you into turn washing you up the track then cutting under you ?
Left rearing you running ya over ?
Or getting under you a little then 8 tires are better than 4 ?
We race road courses. Full on rams your rear in brake zone/turn entry and you can’t save it at all, you are sent off line or off track.

Why don't you bring this up at the driver's meeting. Don't say any names, but make sure the track promotor and flagman no your complaints.
If it continues dump him every chance you get. That's the only way some people learn.
I've seen bounties put on people to take them out because of rough driving all the time.
You can move someone' without dumping them.
There is a difference.

We had a guy like that who would bang people like it was bumper cars. Had a talk with him then he did it again next session. Came over to his pit and busted the carb off his engine with a hammer. End of problem.
I'd leave it on the track were the problem started and I'd start dumping him into the corner when I have the opportunity. Been there done that. Made a guy quit and sell everything because that's how he raced and two races of showing him how he races he quit.

I'd leave it on the track were the problem started and I'd start dumping him into the corner when I have the opportunity. Been there done that. Made a guy quit and sell everything because that's how he raced and two races of showing him how he races he quit.
What is dumping them into the corner? Like hitting them when they're slowing down a bit to enter the turn?

You have to show a bit of grace, sure, but if the guy continues to use your rear bumper excessively, and a friendly talk after the race doesn't yield the results that you are expecting, then it's time to talk to the track owner/promoter, and flagman (without the usual whining.) If they aren't willing to take some action, then it's likely time to find a different track to race at.

Similar case for us on dirt; There was a particular racer who was fast but chose to race us like this. My attempt at a friendly talk with the father of this particular driver resulted in his puffing out his chest, spitting while cursing at me, etc. So I instructed my driver that the next time it happened to intentionally dump them. Not what we wanted to do, but no one else was willing to make a call. Trust me, it was obvious enough that it got the track's attention after that.

I liken flagmen to referees at a basketball game.
If the refs call every little tic tac foul, then you'd better be on your best behavior and race cleanly.
If the refs let the bigs inside beat and bang on each other, then you'd better be prepared to get your elbows up and race to the level of the officiating.
Again, not how we prefer to race, but if that's the way the game/race is officiated, then be prepared or take your kart/dollars/business elsewhere.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

We have an issue in my sons class on the asphalt oval where another kid dives low going into the corner and takes out the person in front of them. It is actually bothersome that no one seems to really take him aside to explain how to pass properly.

Dads teach their kids to use bumper for brakes.i have had somewho comes out of corner and hits the brakes to get u to run up on their lf tire.their is no skill in knocking someone out of the groove to win 85$.

Last edited by a moderator:
Once I over look it twice is another thing. I go big or go home. I take him out twice as bad as he did me. Now having said that yes they will get mad and want to fight and argue, I simply tell them I am done if you are and if it happens to me again expect worse. I have not had a issue lately. But it kills me to watch a guy lead a entire race only to get taken out on the last lap.

We have an issue in my sons class on the asphalt oval where another kid dives low going into the corner and takes out the person in front of them. It is actually bothersome that no one seems to really take him aside to explain how to pass properly.
You mean 8 wheels are not better than 4?

It's the track owners fault for allowing aggressive wrecking. If that fool hurts someone doing that. Hope he gets more than he deserves.

Back