How to decide tire prep

Medic262

I’m new to karting again after several years away. How can I determine what I need to prep with. I’ve heard if the track is soft and damp you want a softer tire if it’s hard and dry a harder tire is that correct thanks

In the BIG general picture yes your in general correct, BUT as pointed out there is a lot more to it, it depends on the tire and If Burris the compound, and then it's not just Duro it's how it got there.

If Burris 33s first I'd try a new set of 2021 round cut's with NO prep, If they hook up they'll be fastest, I'm not the best one to ask for Dry Dusty slick None of our eastern pa tracks go dry dusty slick, I know a Medium type prep black sand mix does pretty good but can't say it's best.

If you are in the mid west , I would give Brian Carlson from Carlson Motorsports a call or message him on here . There's a real good chance he knows the track and what works best ! He also has a good line of preps .

That's a general rule of thumb, yes.
We've got a very simple, yet effective, Burris tire and prep program.
Our Black Bite 2.0 adds bite without softening.
Monster Bite adds a ton of bite and softens quickly. (also works well as a PRW)
Probably the only two cans you'll ever need to own for 33s.
Give us a call if we can help you.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
I’m new to karting again after several years away. How can I determine what I need to prep with. I’ve heard if the track is soft and damp you want a softer tire if it’s hard and dry a harder tire is that correct thanks

Just started using Vector Cuts and the Black Bite 2.0. It works. First time using any prep. RP is right though. We started with preped tires and ended up not using any prw for 2nd heats or the features. Wish I hadn’t put any on the tires at home cause I think we woulda been better. Kinda locked us down . I was really surprised.

Just started using Vector Cuts and the Black Bite 2.0. It works. First time using any prep. RP is right though. We started with preped tires and ended up not using any prw for 2nd heats or the features. Wish I hadn’t put any on the tires at home cause I think we woulda been better. Kinda locked us down . I was really surprised.
It's easy to do.
Less coats = less bite.
As you run them, don't re-coat them as you come off the track each time and you will heat cycle/wear the BB2 out of the tires in a couple runs.
Using Monster Bite as a PRW really makes them fire off and make your driver feel like a hero. Too much of it though and he'll be locked into the race track and look like a zero.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Be aware with 33s more times than not trying to run them with to much prep ( to aggressive prep ) after the track has passed the need for prep to find grip, the results will be a chemical slide ( skating on top ) not locking down, which is what a lot of guys miss and make the mistake there sliding so they think MORE prep and it only gets worse, this happens a lot at tracks that start out and stay moist slick for awhile where aggressive prep all on top of the tire is needed, then all of a sudden track grips up and picks up 3 th or more, then it's time for the right 33 NEVER to have been chemically prepped, (simple green only.) Only pointing this out because most guy's think the results of an over prepped 33 is always locked down and that's not the case, you could have been locked down slightly OR could have been just to low on air, also there are very few track conditions where a 33 wiped during the week ends up fastest, we play the 33 game around here more than anywhere at like 8 different tracks, all the guy's that are really good at it will have 20 plus sets of 33s and only 1 or maybe 2 of those are wiped during the week for that certain time when track is in transition between needing aggressive chemical to NO chemical, and every track here ends up at some point 33s NEVER to have been prepped outside ( simple green only ) are the fastest, just gotta pick the right date code, profile and thickness. Plus 33s are the most sensitive tire I know of to chemical in general, but especially getting to much INTO the tire, If you find the right combo even when prep is a must doing it all on top of the tire will be better than to much INTO the tire. Now you ask but what about that non aggressive PRW that it needed to fire them off, at the right time a NEVER prepped 33 with just a little heat in them ( may be just set them in the sun ) will be faster than the PRW you think you need.

Yeah I wish we would have went up on air. I really think that it would of helped. My driver said it was kinda what you were mentioning about skating. It would like pull him up to the wall off the corner and if he tried to turn it a little too much it would bog the motor. The thing is that we had cycled the prep out of the tires by the last heat race and both features. We did adjust the kart and make it faster but could never get rid of the skating off the corner.
We did finish 5th in the lites and 2nd in the Mediums. I still know we left some out there.It is only the second time racing after a 16 year lay off and first time with cut tires and prep. We’ll just keep chugging along.
what does the simple green do? How do you apply it? First time I’ve heard of this. I read that simple green pulls the prep out of the tires.

Simple Green is a stringent degreaser. It will pull oil out of the tires. The tires "feel" good after cleaning with Simple Green because of this. It may, or may not, be what you want to do with your tires.
I love Simple Green for cleaning air filters. I despise it for cleaning tires. I prefer a low PH cleaner...if a guy doesn't want to purchase a "tire specific" cleaner, then Dawn dish soap or Dandruff shampoo will work in a pinch.
Now, with that said...if you race at a "no prep" track, Simple Green works great a prepping your tires...I guess the promoers don't consider that "prep."
Here in the midwest, it is very rare that unprepped Burris will be fast at all -- that's because most of the tracks have little to no bite. This is a result of little clay and primarily black organic dirt for a track surface. Coupled with low car counts for a typical Saturday night and you've got low bite one groove around the bottom race tracks.
There are two typical prep programs that the fast guys use in the midwest (and elsewhere that the tracks don't bite up, ie dry slick and/or dusty):
One, build base prep in layers in the tire during the week, followed by an aggressive PRW at the track.
Two, Kill them with a coat or two of Green every time you hit the track, and throw fresh tires on the car each time out.
Dirt tracks are always changing, and that's why the guys with 20 sets have a huge advantage. Keep in mind though, that you can only bolt 4 tires on the car -- get the "right" 4 tires and you're golden.

Yeah I wish we would have went up on air. I really think that it would of helped. My driver said it was kinda what you were mentioning about skating. It would like pull him up to the wall off the corner and if he tried to turn it a little too much it would bog the motor. The thing is that we had cycled the prep out of the tires by the last heat race and both features. We did adjust the kart and make it faster but could never get rid of the skating off the corner.
We did finish 5th in the lites and 2nd in the Mediums. I still know we left some out there.It is only the second time racing after a 16 year lay off and first time with cut tires and prep. We’ll just keep chugging along.
what does the simple green do? How do you apply it? First time I’ve heard of this. I read that simple green pulls the prep out of the tires.
Once prepped with chemical you never fully cycle ( race ) the prep out of a tire, Nor will any cleaner fully remove it, It can be a 33 wiped twice with medium prep a year ago, and if you try to run it when you should be on an unprepped ( never prepped ) tire, you will get a chemical slide and be a few tenth slower, If you get a chemical slide ( and sounds like you did ) you cannot make any adjustments to get rid of it, other than bolt on the right tires never to have been prepped with chemical, in your case sounds like that would have to be a fresh set of 2021s.
I don't know 100 % what simple green does ( nor does anyone else ) other than yes makes the tire feel good, and when you can run never prepped 33s it WORKS, and will get you faster,( and were not under a NO Prep rule ) we use it because it works, Spray the tire good take your hand and scrub it in, lather it up good then wipe scrubbing it dry with a towel, again Nothing will fully remove chemical prep from a tire.

When a track gets saturated with prep due to either the lack of track preparation or how dry a track really is and the kart count is high....... Simple green is a good "PRW" or a foaming spray degreaser (Zmax or SD20)....... I have used Trac Tac tire wash as well straight in those type of situations. But there is also more to it then what has been wiped or what you could wipe.... Some over look the actual stiffness of the corner of a tire..... That there could be tenths on the stop watch.......

Back