how to fix leak

bunk

I'm new to racing and I bought some tires and rims from a guy with only 30 laps on all but two of them are not holding air and its not valve stem if its around the bead how can this be fixed?

If you have a way to break them down you can rub some silicone around each bead...first put air in them and spray soapy water all around each rim edge of bead and see where the leak is...it might not be there...spray down in rim middles tto make sure rim halfs aren't leaking....this can all be silicone with thin layers and stop the leaks and not affect the performance of the tires...JMO

Hey I seen the add for those hubs on mike Clements website do you just use the left hub for like predator and clone classes and is it legal...that thing sounds like it would eliminate a lot of problems

Hey I seen the add for those hubs on mike Clements website do you just use the left hub for like predator and clone classes and is it legal...that thing sounds like it would eliminate a lot of problems

I think you posted in the wrong thread.
If youre talking about the ratchet, or free rolling hubs, they are not legal for stock classes.

Agree on not putting fixaflat or tire slime in your tires, you will have more balancing problems and wobbling wheels than you can imagine. I tried it when i first started racing as a simple fix, boy was i wrong. I bounced all over the track for 3 laps before pulling off and throwing that tire away. Its better to try what PC said and use silicone to try and seal up the bead if its leaking around the bead or where the 2 halfs of the wheel are welded together, the silicone wont affect your balance of the wheel or throw off the balance like tire slime/fixaflat will!

And for future reference, beads are usually torn by people improperly dismounting/mounting tires, usually when they use a screwdriver rather than their hands or a tire spoon. I just use my hands when working on changing tires, whether im mounting or dismounting, its pretty easy once you get the hang of it and can be done in 5 mins or less. DO NOT USE SCREWDRIVERS ON TIRES

How long does it take for them to go flat? If it takes awhile then dont worry about it....they all leak. A race doesnt take that long.

A tire should not leak. If it leaks down you have a problem. All my tire hold air with in a half pound depending on the temp.

Break the bead and clean it then just use a little fix a flat or slime just around the bead then reinflate. Might want to throw a towel or something when seating the beads or you might end up getting a face full of slime

Noooo slime or f a lat there is a sealer to put on the bead of the rims if that is the problem if the guy that installed them did not do it correctly and messed up the tires then you do have a issue tire companys do have that sealer for the rims it does build up a little and helps seal up the tire any slime or instant seal will put the tires out of balance

So then what are the differences between slime and a tire bead sealer. I don't see why if either one was put in a small amount around the bead that it would have any effect on tire balance , most of it blows off anyway when the bead seats itself on the rim then just rinse off the outside after tire is inflated. Little if any ends up inside the tire anyway. Unless you balance the tire with a true tire balancer chances are pretty slim that the tire is truely balanced anyway.

i never said fill up a tire to racing "psi" with tire slime just a small sqwirt in the air valve should do it . i have been in some karting catologs looking for some things last couple days and i have seen tire slimes and fix-a-flat type products in 3 catologs now . and it is pictured for sale in the tire sections of the catologs . just a SMALL amount to coat the inside of tire.

The tire sealer goes on the rim with a brush it sets up then you mount the tire hope that helped slime will plug holes we have tried to put in side but it always stays like liquid so it was getting it out of balance thats what it did to me

I just fixed a nicked bead with a tire plug, kinda hard to explain but I layed the plug down on the rim and pushed the tire up over it on that side of the bead so that the plug was in the cut of the bead, then beaded tire, and it worked

The tire sealer goes on the rim with a brush it sets up then you mount the tire hope that helped slime will plug holes we have tried to put in side but it always stays like liquid so it was getting it out of balance thats what it did to me

I have also used slime the same way you use a brush on bead sealer just brush it on like bead sealer not filling the tire up with it. Sure if you fill it you might as well forget about it being balanced. Either one would give the same reasults if you just brush it on in a thin layer , most goes away anyway once mounted anyway.

Back