How to ID NO Points flywheels n coils?

How do we know which flywheels are for points engine n which flywheels are for NON points flywheels? Then which coil for NON points flywheels? How to ID NON POINTS COILS???

THE SINGLE magnet flywheels are the ones we want to xover from points flywheel to NON points flywheel???I dont want points... It was a points type motor.

When did the xover to magnatron electronic ignition happen? 1984? 1982?

There are 2 leg coils that are supposed to xover from points to no points? Does the flywheel have to be changed from 2 magnet flywheel to 1 magnet flywheel?

Then there is the coil with the little pick up thing on it? Is it for one magnet flywheel or 2 magnet flywheel? Im so confused 😕. I just want to get an old points type engine to run without points. What flywheel n what coil to use to get that?

Pictures of the magnatron flywheel n coil would be great thx

The magnetron flywheel is the same as the points flywheel. Simply put a magnetron coil on. Connect the shut off wire, if desired.
You can leave the points in there if you want. Just do not connect the wire to the points.

There was a conversion kit to replace the points using the original coil.

I think I still have at least 1 of these.

60102. 1186-1. 860310... That cant be right? as it wud mean it was built
3 10 86... After 1984 when briggs went to magnatron ignition, right? Someone swapped blower housings somewhere along the line?

Yes is 2hp, but the situation is the same from 2 hp to 5 hp, right? 2 magnet coil for old style points ignition? One magnet flywheel for magnatron ignition???

I watched utube vids on it, upgrading to solid state ign, but they seem to go fast past that part n arent CRYSTAL CLEAR on ... Points flywheel n points coil... Xfer over to the solid state ign/coil n... Flywheel???

It shd be the simplest thing in the world? Its not the ISS space station?

No coil on the motor. Just came with block. No coil. No flywheel. By happenstance noticed 1/2" NPT pipe nipple fits in intake hole with minor dremel work.

If 3 hp flywheel fits taper, problem solved.

Bolt on flywheel and magnetron coil.

If necessary, fabricate bracket to hold coil.

Redneck crude.

Throw away key.
Lap flywheel to crank.
Set timing at desire place. Most use piston depth before tdc. Tighten flywheel to crank.

Operate like Bob's your uncle.

You are right.
It's not rocket science.

When we raced restrictor plate stock appearing, my dream was to use chainsaw flywheel and ignition to fire spark plug.
Rule was stock 5hp flywheel.
I wanted to clutch free of the flywheel above 3000 rpm.

Had most parts accumulated, then track configuration changed to extremely short, where power was not needed.

Still on my wish list. When I have time.

95 Shaw gave perfect advice .
The crank shaft is what moves the points . thats the difference . a non points crank would not work on a point triggered system . otherwise no difference .

There are different flywheels offered for some of the mower and vertical shaft Briggs engines. Some have 2 magnets, others have 1.
For horizontal Briggs, the single magnet 3HP flywheels are interchangeable with the 5HP single magnet flywheels. Same taper, same keyway location, same coil pickups can be used.
As soon as you go to a 2 magnet flywheel, the coil will differ as well.
Coils and flywheels need to be matched - you don't typically just grab them from opposite ends of the scrap pile and mate them up - they won't work.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
35 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

For horizontal Briggs, the single magnet 3HP flywheels are interchangeable with the 5HP single magnet flywheels. Same taper, same keyway location, same coil pickups can be used.
As soon as you go to a 2 magnet flywheel, the coil will differ as well.

Ok so... 2 magnet flywhhels need different coil than 1 magnet flywheel or it wont go... Right? I think thats what i got. Simplest thing in the world... One wud think? But no

^ That should be the case, correct. Depending on the coil leg spacing, magnet length, etc, you may be able to get the incorrect coil to fire from the 2 magnet flywheel, but I doubt that it will fire at the correct time(s.)
Coils and flywheels are designed to work together as a matched pair.

Back