How to maximize forward drive

PRC27

What are some tips to help maximize forward drive? Kart is a 06 phenom where I'm needing help is on dry slick race tracks...should I take some negative rf camber out? Just anything that you can tune on to help this if you need more info please ask thanks

What are some tips to help maximize forward drive? Kart is a 06 phenom where I'm needing help is on dry slick race tracks...should I take some negative rf camber out? Just anything that you can tune on to help this if you need more info please ask thanks

From firsthand experience, the key is bite. The tires and kart together have to make a lot of bite even if it means going low on air. Changing the settings would probably help but maybe you should try to get a prep that really makes bite without softening the tire much first or try a lower air pressure if your high on air. When the prep and low air doesn't help, try running softer tires or vice versa lower air then a prep that makes bite. After that start changing the kart settings you currently have. A good book to have is The Dynamics of Speed by Todd Godwin, LTG on the forums. He has always helped me when needed.

The Phenom's are tricky to get going on a dry slick track, or a track with little bite. What I learned with mine is it's important to make sure your RF is working. If you are beyond -2.5 degree of camber in the RF, then your too much IMO. Also, if the track is small, 1/10 mile, make sure the RF caster block is in the rear position.

If you want to maximize forward drive, more negative RF camber (i.e. -3 to -3.25), more cross, and more left usually help. Also as 'BigIron' mentioned, you will need to ensure you are producing maximum bite as well. If you are looking for more roll speed, less stagger will help the kart travel in a straight line faster.

Hope this helps, have a blessed day!

If you want to maximize forward drive, more negative RF camber (i.e. -3 to -3.25), more cross, and more left usually help. Also as 'BigIron' mentioned, you will need to ensure you are producing maximum bite as well. If you are looking for more roll speed, less stagger will help the kart travel in a straight line faster.

I tried the bump up to -3.25 at the fall shootout @dumplin valley a few weeks ago it was very fast up of the corner when the track had grip well Saturdays show it was very dry slick I sat on the pole In pro 350 with a pretty stacked field (Darnell Curtis Horner etc) as the race went on it got slower and slower I'd say you are right I made the wrong call on tires i am thinking they were to soft will that hurt it to? Thanks for any input

It'd take a fair bit more detail about what you had going on to make any decent suggestion. However, very generally, for a kart to really drive up off the corner well both rear tires have to be working together to the point there is almost a slight push off (and at times there actually may be a slight push off). To achieve this we need a LR tire which can bite, a setup to keep both rear tires working together and not so much turning power that the back end can't stay planted.

Todd
www.dynamicsofspeed.com

It'd take a fair bit more detail about what you had going on to make any decent suggestion. However, very generally, for a kart to really drive up off the corner well both rear tires have to be working together to the point there is almost a slight push off (and at times there actually may be a slight push off). To achieve this we need a LR tire which can bite, a setup to keep both rear tires working together and not so much turning power that the back end can't stay planted.

Todd
www.dynamicsofspeed.com
Rear is 53.5 left 57 cross 62.5 camber -3.25 +.3 tracks are both around 1/4 mile dumplin valley is pretty much wide open all race castor 8/12 in that race particular it was like it was just dumping hard on the RR CENTER off as the race went on if that make sense

With the additional information you posted, I'd say you didn't hit on the tires or you had to agressive prep in or on them. How many laps was the race?

With the additional information you posted, I'd say you didn't hit on the tires or you had to agressive prep in or on them. How many laps was the race?

20 laps I honestly think they were to soft 4-6 points cause they fired good and around lap 9-10 they went to junk

Rear is 53.5 left 57 cross 62.5 camber -3.25 +.3 tracks are both around 1/4 mile dumplin valley is pretty much wide open all race castor 8/12 in that race particular it was like it was just dumping hard on the RR CENTER off as the race went on if that make sense
It would be interesting to see how much weight would be taken out of the LR when you turn the steering wheel. With that much caster in the RF, you’re lifting that LR a lot. That might account for the load on the RR.
¼ mile is a really big track, are you sure about that?

James and Ltg are both offer great advice and your numbers look about right. But yeah I would try to get more bite outta the tire without softening then too much.

Looks like a fun race.
Still, one possible layout for a ¼ mile track, (1320’) would be an 83 yard wide infield and 90 yard straights. The high school running track is a ¼ mile, and it fits around a football field. Walk the track at the local high school and compare that to the race track. I could be wrong, and if I am, let me know.

Back