How to paint a plastic body with spray paint

So the paint is peeling off our body and it's only been 3 races, infact ever since the 2nd race its been peeling bad, any suggestions how to get paint to stick on the body.

Primer for plastic. Auto zone has it.
Make sure to wash. Dry. And wipe with a paint reducer before spraying on the primer. The top half is a old Yellow plastic nose piece. The lower half is fiberglass I made.

It works

Attachments

• 16544533703924089445349689950597.jpg
    16544533703924089445349689950597.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 73
Primer for plastic. Auto zone has it.
Make sure to wash. Dry. And wipe with a paint reducer before spraying on the primer. The top half is a old Yellow plastic nose piece. The lower half is fiberglass I made.

It works
Wow, that looks neat, does it stick good

I’ve done it. Prime then sand with like 180 grit, repeat 6-10 times, when done sanding use tack cloth to wipe up excess dust. Once you have multiple primer layers hit it with 2 coats of spray paint and it looks great. Couldn’t tell the difference between actual black body work and the blue bodywork i painted black.

Front bumper came black, fairing was blue then painted it black. Side pods were green, but painted black.

With this kind of stuff the amount of effort you put in correlates to how well it looks/how durable it is. Just be patient and take your time. That’s the key. It’s a good thing to do during the off season.

Attachments

• 70DD4A45-2BA8-49B8-8F4D-4D350620C101.jpeg
    70DD4A45-2BA8-49B8-8F4D-4D350620C101.jpeg
    74.2 KB · Views: 29
Yes. None of the paint flakes off.

I, used Omni paint with my spray guns. I dont use spray cans type of paint, but, they will work, if you prep the surface correctly with Primers for Plastic.

Thx also.

The problem with most if not all rattle can plastic paint is calling the finish Simi gloss is usually a stretch. If you don't have your own paint gun set up and want a nice shine finish ask some of the body shops in the area if they can cut you a deal next time they are doing a bumper repaint in a color you would like

Rub down with a scotch bright then Use bin shellac primer in the red and white can, it will stick to glass or tile and plastic then use any paint you want. Shake it very well before use and couple light coats. Not used for coverage but for adhesion.

Attachments

• CA29EFDF-4499-4001-9D7C-8CB9DABCDE27.png
    CA29EFDF-4499-4001-9D7C-8CB9DABCDE27.png
    310.4 KB · Views: 7
The problem with most if not all rattle can plastic paint is calling the finish Simi gloss is usually a stretch. If you don't have your own paint gun set up and want a nice shine finish ask some of the body shops in the area if they can cut you a deal next time they are doing a bumper repaint in a color you would like
This.
Even the paint has an additive for plastic

I always take comet cleaner and a fine scotchbrite pad and wet sand the plastic part first. That will not only clean it properly to remove any contamination but prep the plastic but giving it just enough of a scuff to get your paint to stick. An adhesion promoter will help as well if you wanna use it but no need after that scuff process.

I always take comet cleaner and a fine scotchbrite pad and wet sand the plastic part first. That will not only clean it properly to remove any contamination but prep the plastic but giving it just enough of a scuff to get your paint to stick. An adhesion promoter will help as well if you wanna use it but no need after that scuff process.
Comet cleaner lol, they use to say Earl Sheib use to use it to paint cars, it was the reason they were so cheap.
Yeah scotchbrite until all the shiny is gone

Back