how to remove the rear bumper bolts, wont come out of chassis,

snopro442

I am in the process taking my kart apart and I cannot get the rear bumper bolts to come out. they turn and I can push them in and pull them out but the rubber inserts will not allow the assembly to come out. any help would be great! Thanks

I knock the bolts back into the frame, dig all the washers and rubber grommets out then take the bolts out. Was a real head-scratcher the first time but this way has worked every time.

the end with the threads are sticking out of the end of the chassis and the head of the bolt is in the chassis. I put the nut back on the bolt and tried to hit it with a hammer and the rubber insert just wont move.

Vice grips on the end of the threads or on the nut and take a torch to heat the rubber up some while you pull on the bolt, it'll come out. Only do it if your replacing it

Typically what you have it a piece of heater hose and a carriage bolt or hex bolt with a flat washer, when you tighten the bolt it compresses the hose.

I'd take a thin blade screw driver and try working around the outside of the hose to break it loose from the frame tube.

Maybe try to spray some WD40 in the hole to help loosed things up.

In one case I pushed the bolt all the way in so I could pry the hose out, then tip the frame up to get the bolt out.

Once apart I sprayed with WD40 and used a rag on a screw driver to clean the crud out of the frame tube.

Then replace with new hose and new bolts.

The quickest tool I have used is a portapower to jack them out. Next quickest was a slide hammer threaded onto the bolt.

I just did a pair if them on my old Bug SuperSprint. I went ahead and shoved the bolts up into the frame. I then took a jigsaw and stuck the blade in the bolt hole. Cut the rubber in two, took a screwdriver and pry'd them loose. Once they came out, tipped the front do the frame up and the bolts fell out. Simple.

optimal way to do it:

1. remove nut and washer from bolt.....
2. buy new kart and install nut and washer on new bumper bolt....

works every time!

just wanting to have some fun and get everyone to smile a little!!!

Oh by the way, before reinstalling new rubber sleeves, wrap them with a layer of aluminum foil. It makes the job A LOT easier should there be a next time.

Just had this issue. Was pulling with all my strength and it wouldn't budge. Looked online and saw that rubber contracts with heat whereas metal expands. Held a heat gun on it for about a minute and it slid out like butter.

Back