How to set toe quickly and accuratue

DJR

I have an accutoe advanced and I always have to go from one side to the other. I set one side where I want it then have to adjust the other. I then come back to the first side and it is off again. I have do this over and over until finally they are both right. Any idea how to speed up this process?

If possible get roll on weight table or roll on scale stands. Put the kart on the rear side and roll it onto the scales. with driver in the kart.
Make sure that all points in the steering linkage are tight and not worn.This includes spindle bearings. If there is any movement in them, It will cause toe to change slightly.

Check this out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hKF2OwCtqA

Pay careful attention to what he says, And really listen to the last few comments he makes. Will put your mind at ease.

I do set the toe on the scale stand and I do have everything tight. Spindle bearings I actually just replaced. Any idea what is causing this? It takes like an hour to set the toe just going back and forth to get it exact.

I do set the toe on the scale stand and I do have everything tight. Spindle bearings I actually just replaced. Any idea what is causing this? It takes like an hour to set the toe just going back and forth to get it exact.

Someone is moving the steering wheel. Even when the pin is in a lock position theres still movement.

I also have an Accutoe and got tired very quickly of doing one side, then the other and them back to the other side again. (at a minimum)
So i bought another unit so i can do both sides at the same time.
I believe the Accutoe method of aligning off the rear axle is the correct way to do it.
Since the introduction of front wheel drive cars i doubt any automotive alignment shop ever does just a front wheel alignment anymore.
Everything is now "4 wheel alignment"

An hour is entirely too long .
The wheels moving or your stubs are loose or axle issues .
Or equipment trouble.
If you set one side disassemble and restet immediately will if stay the same?
Set one side , set the other and stop.

Unless you are dealing with a different pin system than i have been dealing with i find that there is way too much play in the pin system. You might want to drill the hole for the pin large enough for a bolt to go through and put a nut on the back side.
Here's the way the steering wheel is locked when doing an alignment on you car.
It sits on the front seat and is spring loaded so that the 2 hooks mesh with the wheel and keep it from moving!
s-l640.jpg

An hour is entirely too long .
The wheels moving or your stubs are loose or axle issues .
Or equipment trouble.
If you set one side disassemble and restet immediately will if stay the same?
Set one side , set the other and stop.

Any idea what it could be. I have a new axle. New wheels hubs/studs. New spindle bearings. It did this the same way before I replaced those items.

Tie rod ends are worn and loose,
Steering shaft bushings are worn and loose.
Steering lock is worn and loose
Spindle bolts are worn and loose
How you attach to the rear axle is loose.
Etc

First thing exactly how much change are you seeing .
What chassis, what type spindle. The flat end or the stepped end?
Set it up . set the toe on one side . Then take the equipment off . Put the equipment back on.
If it stays the same , your equipment and method of use are fine.
I have the feeling you're over thinking it.
Toe is the last thing you set.

put you kart on stand not scales, put in steering lock, hold either wheel and wiggle the tire. can you feel any movement? Now put laser on it and then try to wiggle it and see if the toe changes. If it does, there is your problem, then do the same to the rear wheels.

First thing exactly how much change are you seeing .
What chassis, what type spindle. The flat end or the stepped end?
Set it up . set the toe on one side . Then take the equipment off . Put the equipment back on.
If it stays the same , your equipment and method of use are fine.
I have the feeling you're over thinking it.
Toe is the last thing you set.

It is usually off around 1/32 - 1/16 or less. It is a Triton chassis with recon spindles.

UPDATE

So I checked it on the stand it isn’t the accutoe it checked the same over and over. However the wheel does have a decent amount of play in it even with the steering lock in. The steering lock is tight so idk why it has so much play.

Possibly . Just to be sure your talking about the steering wheel not the wheel on the spindle ?
Put the laser back on and wiggle the (wheel) watch what happens.

Yeah its the steering wheel. The wheels and spindles all are fine when I move the toe doesn't change. If I move the steering wheel it can change up to 1/8. What takes the play out of the steering wheel.

Back