How to slow a red plate down for a beginner

If he is a true beginner the gear is the way to go.
This is good advice . I assume you would add teeth to the rear .
No throttle could be bad in several ways .
Getting ran over on starts and restarts is going to cause accidents and likely scare the driver .

Thicker head gasket'. (Compression is the Holy Grail) I know, I know, too much work. Less timing. Bigger jets. Standard reach plug, hotter!

Use the restricted pipe with the "pill" in it. That really kills them along with the red plate. But if you want him to learn, you need to let him go!

The more I think about this . It comes down to practice time .coaching and practice . Requesting too start in the rear for several events .
And if they say it will be alright .
Insist , I've been there and it turned out bad , it was far from okay .

Last edited:
The best answer is to NOT slow him down. He will self moderate. If you have practice days, run the next larger plate in practice to get him used of the speed. He will never learn to go fast by going slow.
True but he will learn to accelerate, brake, and enter. No need to slow him WAY down, just so he is comfortable especially if he is really green

The more I think about this . It comes down to practice time .coaching and practice . Requesting too start in the rear for several events .
And if they say it will be alright .
Insist , I've been there and it turned out bad , it was far from okay .
Right he can't start racing till end of year just working on getting seat time till then

If you have a throttle stop , that should do it . Gears only a five minute deal so quick fix .
(We were experinced and out classed .)

The best answer is to NOT slow him down. He will self moderate. If you have practice days, run the next larger plate in practice to get him used of the speed. He will never learn to go fast by going slow.
I agree with that, he might make mistakes but, mistakes is how you learn. I would just try get him as much practice that is possible.

Back