How to understand air gains and what changes need to be made

It's one sensor per tire as well. I've seen that system and didn't think it would be accurate, but who knows.

Tire temperature is simply another piece of data.
More data can be a good thing and can be useful if it is used correctly.

For the guys that say that tire temps don't matter...How many times have you laid your hand on a tire after a race? Now why did you just do that?
A tire needs to get warm to work properly. It must wear to work properly. Wear is the result of heat and the tire's natural way of cooling itself.
A tire that gets warmer than the others is the result of that corner of the car bearing the majority of the work.

I don't care what you race, you WANT your tires to get warm and wear. Getting the balance of the car correct so that you get the right amount of temp and wear is what we're all after.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I'd like to see the Mychron tire temp system used on dirt and see the data before I pulled the trigger considering the cost. I feel there are better places I can personally spend my money. Only because I have years of experience reading tires and tire wear to know how they're working. The Why isn't always so clear, and I understand this could potentially tell you why. Even if I didn't have as much experience as I do, I don't know that this system would help me without some experience to back it up. Either way, I think what most tire guys come to realize that the system would just tell you what you already seen on the tire. And with or without it, experience tells you the answers if you know how to read the data on the tire. So the actual numbers aren't as important. It could potentially put a scale on tire wear with this based on temps and help you fine tune. But, on dirt the conditions change so quickly and with prep you can alter heat in a tire broadly. So ultimately I'm really afraid the data would really only tell you what you already know.

On sprint, they don't prep. So setup and driving style changes are what changes heat in tires. THAT I can see being very beneficial, especially with the Mychron 5 showing all the other data it gathers.

I'm not saying tire temps aren't the underlying reason we do a lot of things on dirt, because you're exactly right. I'm not in the "tire temps don't matter" crowd. But, I am not sure putting a number on it will make it easier to understand without the experience behind it to explain it.

For qualifying you need your tires to get hotter quicker and you also don't have to worry about overheating them so you may be able to run a bit higher air, with a wipe or two of bite chemical put on after the last time you were on the track before qualifying

What is the correct air pressure gains one would like to see after a run using 9psi on left side and 11psi on rites?
should the RF and LR gain the same? and what should the correct gain be on the RF and RR?
Good question and so far all answers totally ignore your question.

I'd say equal gain on RF and LR would be good to excellent.

I'll guess on the second question saying the more the better till you get loose or snap spin it.

With equal gain like your thinking, though the RF will probably be out gaining the RR, it's probably not going to start pushing because of the rotation help it indicates you'll be getting from the back.

Right or wrong with my input I bet it get some thunkin bout your original question.

With equal gain like your thinking, though the RF will probably be out gaining the RR,
I'm not sure it's 'probable' the RF would out gain the RR if both the RF and the LR had the same gain. ?????? hummmmmm

... still thunk the thought could require a lot of thunkin bout????

not sure i would trust that with the pressure we run plus the fact that it needs to open the valve to work also would think that would un-balance the wheel pretty good. we are looking at the other system as we would be able to make a bracket and hold all 4 sensors across the tire to measure how the tire is working with different air pressures. interesting product regardless

heavys 425lbs

Didn't quote you, it was an answer to someone else.
I don't care about gains either, stop watch and tire surface after run
Read your I don't care, not arguing just passing on what it made me think of.

If your able to get what you need from how the tire looks great.
What it made me think of is how much work a tire is doing for you on the track would be best told by air pressure gains regardless of how it looks.
... then again writing that if you do know from experience how each tire needs to look per track conditions, type of tire etc., and what it tells you each tire is doing for you or if it's not doing what you normally need per the way it looks, then sure you can throw out air pressure, and tire temps.

I'm going to say my son was that close and on a first name basis with his tires and still is today, but he still wants to add in tire temps via feel and air pressure knowledge.
Me off the track watching I just look for on track problems and good stuff feeling pretty confident the direction what were racing needs to over all change to solve problems.
For me stuff like the things on the RR too long and why are available to me along with general stuff to do to fix it or move the overall performance towards a fix.
What's actually done is his call with sometimes a "what do you think offered to me".
Generally my "what do you think" is pretty much the same but sometime we differ more then a little.
When that happens when it some in it's a "so" we both know what happened or it just worked or changed it's performance as expected.

Read your I don't care, not arguing just passing on what it made me think of.

If your able to get what you need from how the tire looks great.
What it made me think of is how much work a tire is doing for you on the track would be best told by air pressure gains regardless of how it looks.
... then again writing that if you do know from experience how each tire needs to look per track conditions, type of tire etc., and what it tells you each tire is doing for you or if it's not doing what you normally need per the way it looks, then sure you can throw out air pressure, and tire temps.

I'm going to say my son was that close and on a first name basis with his tires and still is today, but he still wants to add in tire temps via feel and air pressure knowledge.
Me off the track watching I just look for on track problems and good stuff feeling pretty confident the direction what were racing needs to over all change to solve problems.
For me stuff like the things on the RR too long and why are available to me along with general stuff to do to fix it or move the overall performance towards a fix.
What's actually done is his call with sometimes a "what do you think offered to me".
Generally my "what do you think" is pretty much the same but sometime we differ more then a little.
When that happens when it some in it's a "so" we both know what happened or it just worked or changed it's performance as expected.
Sounds like a waste of time, we run the super latemodel against the top guys in the country, Bloomquist, Owens, Davenport, Larson etc, no one takes tire temps, but all are interested in what the tire looks like.
Time should be spent reading tires, lap times of not only self but several classes, it's easy with race monitor on your phone, and track tendencies

Back