How to wire a Mychron on a 206

USMarine1108

Hey guys, been reading a lot but I'm not finding the answer to this. Long story short I want to swap the Mychron3 that came with my kart (KT100) over to my son's LO206. I'm no slouch mechanically or electrically, just want to make sure there are no tricks I need to be aware of before I pull the plug and start running wires. Anyone have a pic of a 206 with a Mychron wired to it they're willing to post?

Thanks.

For the 206, all you will need is the actual unit, the lap timer, and an RPM lead.

The RPM lead gets wrapped around the spark plug wire 3 times, with the end of it then facing the plug.

For the 206, all you will need is the actual unit, the lap timer, and an RPM lead.

The RPM lead gets wrapped around the spark plug wire 3 times, with the end of it then facing the plug.

Will the temp sensor not work? I already put it in, about to run the rpm lead now.

And thanks!

Most people don't run a temp lead. You can't tape the shroud or rejet. It also will raise the plug out of the combustion chamber and some don't like to do that.

Remember, if you use the temp lead, you are not allowed to remove the spark plug sealing washer per Briggs rules.

If you run two wires, don't let them get next to each other. Make them cross at about 90 degrees to each other so the electromagnetic forces don't jump from wire to wire.

If you still have the clip on the tach lead, clip it on then put a small pull tie about an inch away for strain relief. If the clip is not there, wrap the tach wire around the plug wire and wrap it with electrical tape then a pull tie to keep the tape on also, pull tie for strain relief.

Sundog

If you run two wires, don't let them get next to each other. Make them cross at about 90 degrees to each other so the electromagnetic forces don't jump from wire to wire.

If you still have the clip on the tach lead, clip it on then put a small pull tie about an inch away for strain relief. If the clip is not there, wrap the tach wire around the plug wire and wrap it with electrical tape then a pull tie to keep the tape on also, pull tie for strain relief.

Sundog

Recently put on a mychron 5 with tach/temp sensors and the wires are ran side by side. Been having problems with the RPM showing a bottom end of 1800rpm. Could that be why?

Recently put on a mychron 5 with tach/temp sensors and the wires are ran side by side. Been having problems with the RPM showing a bottom end of 1800rpm. Could that be why?

No its not the reason. If it was something that would cause issues it would be the tach messing with the Tc but I would be very surprised if the tach produced enough of a pulse to do that.

Mychron recommends not running the wires side by side grouped together, specifically zip tied together.

Thanks for all of the help everyone. Got it on and had a track day for my son yesterday with it. I did keep the temp thermocouple on and while it ran fine and gave me some good data (this motor is new to us and only has about 9 hours on it so I liked getting info on the temp it runs) I will most likely remove it. Thanks again!

What sensor would I use to get the mixture reading and how would it be installed and where on the engine?
I am very interested in this idea as it would greatly help tuning the carb

- - - Updated - - -

Since you aren't allowed to use an exhaust temp or O2 sensor you could use hose clamps for this sensor to get mixture data during practice. Remove for racing:)
http://thesensorconnection.com/egt-...st-manifold-or-pipe-surface-temperature-probe

What sensor would I use to get the mixture reading and how would it be installed and where on the engine?
I am very interested in this idea as it would greatly help tuning the carb

The temp sensor will work fine, some choose to not use it for the reasons mentioned above.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz

www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on FaceBook
29 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
I know this is an older thread but I recently picked up a used LO206 kart for my son and it had an old Mychron 3 on it that is sufficient (for now) since we're just looking for lap times and RPMs. Will probably upgrade to Alfano 6 Light once the chip shortage makes them easier to find. Anyway, as I've read up on the 3 a bit, I believe you also have to change the "Spark For Revs" setting to 2x. The owners manual doesn't state specifically to do this for 4 cycle motors but it does say to set it to 1x for two stroke. Can anyone confirm this?

You want it on 1x for two storke . because it has a lost spark ignition where it fires each revolution .
If its on the kart it should be set .
You will know if its of as it will only show say 2500-3000max rpm depending on coil type . if its on 4 stroke

I know this is an older thread but I recently picked up a used LO206 kart for my son and it had an old Mychron 3 on it that is sufficient (for now) since we're just looking for lap times and RPMs. Will probably upgrade to Alfano 6 Light once the chip shortage makes them easier to find. Anyway, as I've read up on the 3 a bit, I believe you also have to change the "Spark For Revs" setting to 2x. The owners manual doesn't state specifically to do this for 4 cycle motors but it does say to set it to 1x for two stroke. Can anyone confirm this?
Was it previously used on a 4 stroke or 2 stroke engine?
Assuming it was working correctly when you purchased it, that would determine if you need to change the cycle setting.
As flattop said - if at full engine revs (hitting the rev limiter) the tack is showing errant readings - ie half of the rpm (3000), or twice the rpm (12,000) then something's amiss and needs adjusted. The rev limiters on all the adult L206 engine will read right around 6040 or 6050 rpm.

Back