Hub question

krtrcn

Guy's I have a set of prc front hubs with press in studs. The stud's are messed up. I have replaced them.
My question is, can I press out the old stud and thread it to accept 1/4 28 thread, or is the hole to big.
I'm just not a fan of press in stud's.
Thanks

I doubt it . The depth of the spline would be the determining factor .
If i remember right its bigger then the stud .
You could go too 5/16ths .

why would you want to thread in a stud. the entire idea is that when you ruin a stud you can replace them with out pulling the threads out of the hub. I would buy the press in stud. Simple and faster to chance even at the track. JMO

Thats true . Order 4 more then you need .
screw in studs for me . i always carried a hack saw , a file and a tap and die . saw the stud off behind the damage if possible , file the burr run it out with the impact . tap install .

why would you want to thread in a stud. the entire idea is that when you ruin a stud you can replace them with out pulling the threads out of the hub. I would buy the press in stud. Simple and faster to chance even at the track. JMO

Hit the nail on the head here... whole purpose of the press in stud was ease of swapping them. I can take out and replace all 3 studs in a hub before you can thread out and thread in a single stud.

Knock out the stud with a hammer, put the new stud in, run the new stud into the hub with a nut, done.

Very rare you have to replace one anyways. I think I've had to replace 1 stud in all of my years of racing.

TECH UPDATE Hubs & Studs.jpg

Back