Hydraulics problem/knowledge needed

DynoDon

I purchased a cub 3225 mower used. I was told the pump was replaced due to factory issues. Two hours into the mow, the tractor slows to a stop. I towed it to the shed ( with my Deere ) the next day I purged it as per instructions on you tube. Ran fine until 2 hrs into the mow again. I changed the fluid. There was air bubbles. I have recently found that if I start it, turn the steering wheel left and right several times until I hear the pump working, run it in reverse while moving turning the wheel left and right, the tractor can be used without problems. Anyone have any ideas how I might find the air leak. No fluid dripping.

You could put some UV dye in your fluid. If it’s leaking air it’s leaking fluid too. That UV light will find it.

Might research exactly what hydraulic fluid it takes.
Might not be the issue but sometimes it really does matter .

I purchased a cub 3225 mower used. I was told the pump was replaced due to factory issues. Two hours into the mow, the tractor slows to a stop. I towed it to the shed ( with my Deere ) the next day I purged it as per instructions on you tube. Ran fine until 2 hrs into the mow again. I changed the fluid. There was air bubbles. I have recently found that if I start it, turn the steering wheel left and right several times until I hear the pump working, run it in reverse while moving turning the wheel left and right, the tractor can be used without problems. Anyone have any ideas how I might find the air leak. No fluid dripping.

You may have a hydrostat system - meaning closed loop (some mowers use hydraulic drives for the wheels instead of a differential). They are very finicky if you have air in the system. Is your dealer able to refill and purge ?

I wish not to pay the labor prices if I can fix it myself. I replaced the fluid and purged as per the instructions

Usually, hydrostat systems have a filter, and a suction screen. If screen is plugged, can make pump draw air from somewhere. If the reservoir has a breather, this can cause problems if plugged.

Oils are important. Anti-foaming characteristic comes to mind.

Yeah looking back through this I hope a HY-TRAN style or universal tractor fluid was used. That hydrostatic system will not be happy with regular old AW32 or hydro 10 wt fluids. Got to have the antifoam, antiwear and friction modifiers in it to keep those clutches happy.

I assure you I have used the correct fluid. I was dealing with Cub when this first started. Cub actually put a new pump in the unit a year before I bought it. They won't guarantee it because I was not the original owner. I have another rear to put under it but I would like to have the one that belongs to it simply because the rear I have is not a traction control system. It is frustrating. I would like to just get on it and go but that isn't happening. I get cought up on my engine work, I will tear into it again. won't be long and the grass will need to be cut.

Back