I cut the cable today info

paulkish

old fart
My cable bill was well over $200 and here's what I did:

Home telephone to Majicjack: $35 a year
Local channels now on attic antenna total one time cost: $35 for motorized antenna and coax.
Fire tv recast box which includes local channel DVR, 4k fire stick and another antenna I can put on another tv, one time cost roughly: $220
Second fire stick for second TV: $40

Fubo internet TV because I wanted Mavtv for dirt racing, hunting and fishing channels. There the only one who offers Mavtv.
Fubo is good to use on 3 tv's at the same time so my Daughter also got FUBO in the deal and I can now watch my own TV even when traveling.

Fubo: $65 a month.
New cable bill for just high band internet $70
No ESPN plus if I want it which I don't you can get ESPN plus for $6 a month.

New monthly cost will go from well over $200 a month to around $150 even if I would get ESPN plus added on.

The biggest difference is the picture quality over the antenna and over the internet is much better then it was with cable.
I get 16 antenna channels and my daughter and son in law because of their location get 32 channels over their antenna.

As far as the cable co goes they put me on a 9 month vacation stoppage, I didn't have to do anything with current boxes except I unplugged two tv boxes.
I can go back to the cable company anytime I want, if we want to, with a simple phone call.
If were ok with our current setup all we do is have them send us a shipping label and send back the two tv boxes keeping our existing modem.

I got tired of them constantly jacking up the price and handling me every year for some sort of old fart discount.
We'll see how it goes but well over $200 to $150 for more channels and movies and everything else we get, along with better picture quality can't be ignored.

Depending on the channels you like to watch $65 for internet TV is on the high end and you can easily get it down to maybe $35 a month if you don't need so many channels.

hope this helps others

Last edited:
Been going on three years with no cable, just internet only at house, we have only 20 channels to choose from our air antenna, not to bad I think, we do have Netflix

On June 11, 2018, the repeal of the FCC's rules took effect, ending network neutrality regulation in the United States.

This means your cable internet company can legally throttle bandwidth from your entertainment providers servers to a crawl anytime they want.
It's a proven problem here in OK, especially with Cox Cable.

On June 11, 2018, the repeal of the FCC's rules took effect, ending network neutrality regulation in the United States.

This means your cable internet company can legally throttle bandwidth from your entertainment providers servers to a crawl anytime they want.
It's a proven problem here in OK, especially with Cox Cable.

That's interesting Bob.

Am I hearing you correctly when I now understand they will not throttle me but they will throttle the feed from Fubo or who ever effectively causing me the same grief?

It will mean the phony service they provide me will still look great if I do a speed test because there not screwing directly with me but screwing with the feed they get.

I wonder if I setup to get all my internet through scrambled server away from them they then won't be able to know what feed to throttle?

ya know I think that would work because they would not know or be able to decipher the content and maybe not even where the internet I receive comes from.

You might be able to tell by setting up a VPN.
If the content provider speeds up, they are being throttled. If they're the same or just a little slower, they're not.

VPN is what I was thinking about when I replied but just couldn't think of the acronym.

thanks

edit: no not a VPN what is it when you send all your internet endoded through your cable provider to another server to put it out to the world. It's one of those black things bob?

Are you thinking of TOR? There's that and some other dark web projects. But mostly used for crypto mining and other nefarious and grey area going's on, and usually less secure than a VPN.
You're probably thinking of a proxy
But what you described is what Nord, IPVanish, and other VPN's do.

Dang i'm old bob.

Is it a VPN that you can encrypt to through your cable provider and your cable provider does not know where on the internet your going because you have someone else put you on the internet. All your cable provider would then see is encrypted traffic and the amount of traffic, not where on the internet your getting information or sending too.

probably is a vpn but I thought vpn's were private and within a company or bunch of friends or family.

???????????/

No, a VPN can also access public sites like google, or youtube, and as far as you service provider knows, you're just connected to the vpn server.

Then thanks Bob, VPN is what is needed to keep cable companies from throttling selective input. I guess they could throttle total input from the VPN though. But if you pay for what your using then I don't know why they would. That is except if you have a VPN and use a lot of data you must by running a lot of video through them that they could get paid for if you had their more efficient cable for TV. I wouldn't put it past them to do it.

thanks

paul

OK, a virtual private is a "pretend" private network. ... :)

Same here from directv. Was about $120. Went to online tv. Ive had playstation vue, directv now/att tv. Gave those up when they went up to $60 on service plan. Now on sling tv, started at $35 now $43. Internet at $85. Still ok for now i suppose not totally ridiculous yet.

Same here from directv. Was about $120. Went to online tv. Ive had playstation vue, directv now/att tv. Gave those up when they went up to $60 on service plan. Now on sling tv, started at $35 now $43. Internet at $85. Still ok for now i suppose not totally ridiculous yet.

I hear ya they got it covered.

The only thing they can match up with money wise and handle you with is the quality of the picture is better over an antenna or via internet.
I'm not going back out of spite even if I end up paying more.

For those interested in LM and mod racing, TIKILIVE channel 37 (24-7. free) offers fix, albeit 3-5 years old, mostly midwest tracks. (Fits my area)

Last edited:
No cable out here in the boonies, only satellite. Canned my satellite service (Direct TV, now owned by AT&T) two weeks ago when the monthly bill hit a little over $128 with no extras like HBO. Still refining alternatives, but I have been able to get TV over my WiFi hotspot, a little black box with a phone number from Verizon that gets me 4G internet service. So far, with HULU, the bill for the new TV services is about $70 a month, instead of $128, plus the WiFi hot spot from Verizon, but I don't count that as part of the TV bill, as I have to have it anyway to get broadband internet - the new found TV usage is just a bonus.

Paul
Where in the world did you get a motorized antenna for 35 dollars ?
Digital air tv is not bad just reception with differnt aiming points .
Distance from the tower is a issue also .

I saw a few on amozon and wal-mart .
I have seen the same type in use a lot around Mississippi . The t shape style they apparently work .
First you need to be reasonably close to get a good signal . if your 60-80 miles out your not getting much . In my experience .
The rotating mechanisim no telling how long it will last hopefully you dont need to move it but a couple times to get tuned in .

Paul
Where in the world did you get a motorized antenna for 35 dollars ?
Digital air tv is not bad just reception with differnt aiming points .
Distance from the tower is a issue also .

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071V7SV6P/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

sorry, it was 32 and change not 35 ... :)

How far depends on the lay of the land.

I get 16 channels and PBS+ from Akron area.
My daughter lives in the Akron area and we got 32 channels on her antenna since she was close enough to get Cleveland channels.
We put her antenna upstairs in the top above the shelf of a bedroom closet.
We just used some of the existing coax lines previously put in when the house was built and the extra that was put in when someone went to satellite once upon a time.

The digital be it via internet or antenna give you a much better picture then cable.

Last edited:
Back