I dont agree with!

JP22

I've been racing for over 20 years in everything from street stocks, late models, modified, and now back to kart racing where it all started! The one problem I have with kart racing is the weight requirements for clone divisions. To run Super heavy, the driver has to weigh 200 pounds which I agree with and think lights, mediums, and heavy should put a driver weight in each division as well! It's BS that John Doe that weighs 125 pounds can run lights, add lead and run mediums, add more lead and run heavy and be a threat to win every time because he can add the lead anywhere on the chassis which gives him a better advantage than people who personally weigh more than him,, but Jim Doe who weighs 245 pounds can only run super heavy because he is physically too big to try and compete in lighter division! I just think each clone class should simply have a minimum to maximum driver weight rule!

For many years there was a 200# maximum kart weight without driver, but then they started making the classes heavier and heavier.
It is what it is

At 245 your not running lights or medium any way .
I get it , the small pepole have the ability too add weight .
Here's a tissue .
That would only seperate and reduce the kart count in each class .
Further diminishing the already fractured karting environment .

Its not clones, but I know locally the predator classes, there was a guy that ran competitively with the lights more than 120lbs heavy. I have finished top 3 in medium racing 75lbs over, and I have won the "400" class weighing 440 total. Don't add rules just for the sake of adding rules. Get better.

Kart racing is a sport. Football players are huge. F1 drivers are tiny. That’s life.
The good part is most people that are 245 can get themselves down to about 200 and race in any class. Remember, it’s a sport, sometimes you have to change your body to compete.

Kart racing is a sport. Football players are huge. F1 drivers are tiny. That’s life.
The good part is most people that are 245 can get themselves down to about 200 and race in any class. Remember, it’s a sport, sometimes you have to change your body to compete.
I lost 100lbs to get back in a kart after 20 years. Will agree.

I've been racing for over 20 years in everything from street stocks, late models, modified, and now back to kart racing where it all started! The one problem I have with kart racing is the weight requirements for clone divisions. To run Super heavy, the driver has to weigh 200 pounds which I agree with and think lights, mediums, and heavy should put a driver weight in each division as well! It's BS that John Doe that weighs 125 pounds can run lights, add lead and run mediums, add more lead and run heavy and be a threat to win every time because he can add the lead anywhere on the chassis which gives him a better advantage than people who personally weigh more than him,, but Jim Doe who weighs 245 pounds can only run super heavy because he is physically too big to try and compete in lighter division! I just think each clone class should simply have a minimum to maximum driver weight rule!
JR1 drivers drive JR2. JR2 drives JR 1 or JR 3. It happens often. It’s just the nature of the beast. Track owners won’t say anything. It’s more $$

JP22,

I'm light, and no doubt that always made things easier for me to run multiple classes in karting. I can tell you what was commonly done in the old days of road racing though: 2 people would share their karts. I often did this with other (heavier) friends. I would run my kart and their kart in the lightweight classes, and they would run my kart and their kart in the heavyweight classes. One person might have an 100cc Open kart, and the other might have a 100cc Stock Appearing kart. It always worked nicely for everyone involved, and was commonly done. Back in that "era", almost all classes in enduro/road racing (and even in Sprint racing) had a light and heavy class... 50 pounds different.

PM

everybody wants to win. life isn't always fair. Unfortunately this is one of those 'sour grapes' situations. if the shoe was on the other foot and you were winning two-three classes a night you wouldn't have any issues with the rules.

everybody wants to win. life isn't always fair. Unfortunately this is one of those 'sour grapes' situations. if the shoe was on the other foot and you were winning two-three classes a night you wouldn't have any issues with the rules.
It is a double edge sword! I'm not a super heavy person. I run clone heavy and can even run clone medium if I wanted to! A few years ago I ran both medium and heavy in the Indiana Dirt Kart Series and won the championship in heavy and 2nd in medium so I'm guilty of double dipping, but older I get I just realize how unfair it is to the bigger people who can't really drop down and be a strong contender to win because of giving up so much weight and just personally think that each division should have a driver minimum and maximum! Like I said, just my opinion but opinions are like and everybody has one and should be respected both good or bad 👍

Last edited by a moderator:
At 245 your not running lights or medium any way .
I get it , the small pepole have the ability too add weight .
Here's a tissue .
That would only seperate and reduce the kart count in each class .
Further diminishing the already fractured karting environment .
Thanks for the tissue! Does it have Aloe in it cause that's all I use

Honestly : they were scaling top three . We were 3rd . You should have seen his jaw drop when we were 420 + or so in a 380 class .
Unfortunately they got faster and we didn't .

It is a double edge sword! I'm not a super heavy person. I run clone heavy and can even run clone heavy and that's it! A few years ago I ran both medium and heavy in the Indiana Dirt Kart Series and won the championship in heavy and 2nd in medium so I'm guilty of double dipping, but older I get I just realize how unfair it is to the bigger people who can't really drop down and be a strong contender to win because of giving up so much weight and just personally think that each division should have a driver minimum and maximum! Like I said, just my opinion but opinions are like a$$holes and everybody has one and should be respected both good or bad 👍
competition is the name of this sport but you can't forget to HAVE FUN. none of us are gonna get famous Kart racing

There's more to racing than weight but, weight's a biggie. I don't need to win, I just need a fair chance to win. Equalize the weight and height is all I ask. If only karts were a little bigger, right?

Sundog

Its real easy for a fat guy to get up here and cry about skinny guys having it so easy. I quit racing modern karts for a number of reasons but the main reason was that I injured my back trying to move my 210 lb. kart around. I have since lost more weight due to the fact that my diet had a big effect on my overall health and I made changes to my diet and I got additional weight loss along with lower blod pressure. Maybe its time for you fat guys to eat alittle crow instead of another cheesburger.

Its real easy for a fat guy to get up here and cry about skinny guys having it so easy. I quit racing modern karts for a number of reasons but the main reason was that I injured my back trying to move my 210 lb. kart around. I have since lost more weight due to the fact that my diet had a big effect on my overall health and I made changes to my diet and I got additional weight loss along with lower blod pressure. Maybe its time for you fat guys to eat alittle crow instead of another cheesburger.
Congratulations on the weight loss and changing your daily diet! BTW, I'm not a fat guy at all and weigh 185 pounds. I'm just speaking my opinion is all I'm doing.

Great banter here ! the one real kick in the pants for the big guys (i'm 250) is top weight. this puts more rotational leverage high on the kart Vs Low added weight..
Yes, when i was lighter i felt better, and i was faster... again, yes we can still win and be 40+# over class weight. Happy racing. fun fact... little guys are easier to spin out LOL

Back