I need clutch help, new to karting

What temps do clutches run during race conditions? I figure opens or stronger motors will slip more and have more heat just curious at what temps is there more to worry about.

Temps normally run 20-25* higher than ambient air temperature (for oval racing.)
Keep in mind that they should be producing very little temperature when they are fully locked up. Only on starts and restarts should you see an increase in temperature. The more restarts, the hotter the clutch will get.
Another factor that you are correct on is about stronger engines. If the engine is able to overpower the clutch, (and assuming you have enough traction to hook it up,) then of course it will be forced to slip the clutch. At that point, I would prefer to have more surface area in the clutch to handle the higher torque of the engine and cause tire spin rather than clutch slippage.

At that point, I would prefer to have more surface area in the clutch to handle the higher torque of the engine and cause tire spin rather than clutch slippage.
Looking at dragsters, they think just the opposite, slip the clutch and keep the tires hooked up to the track. A rolling tire has significantly more traction than a spinning tire. Lockup the rear end and watch how fast the kart comes around if you don't believe me. It's the whole point of antilock brakes. If all four tires are rolling, you stop significantly faster. I had an occasion, where someone pulled out in front of me, where, if I hadn't had antilock brakes, there would have been a collision.

When you take off, from a dead stop, you want that clutch to be holding the engine at peak torque RPM. The more torque at the rear axle, when it starts turning, the more HP at the rear axle. The chain does not transfer HP to the rear axle, it transfers torque, HP is a calculation. If the tires start spinning, slip the clutch at a lower RPM where there's less torque from the engine.

Kind of got off the subject, but it's all pertinent

Al,
We're talking about go karts here. Stock class stuff at that. Not the explosive HP & torque of a top fuel dragster.
I'll agree when dealing with 1000's of HP that you would want to keep the tires hooked to the track and not blow them off.

I dare a 350# stock class clone to blow the tires off because the clutch was set up too aggressive. ;)

Al,

I dare a 350# stock class clone to blow the tires off because the clutch was set up too aggressive. ;)
But this is what you said;
"At that point, I would prefer to have more surface area in the clutch to handle the higher torque of the engine and cause tire spin rather than clutch slippage."
That's all I was referring to, just what you said. Maybe I misunderstood you?

Back