I need setup help

Meyer22

Can someone take time to tell me in detail how to setup a kart with bathroom scales? I went to a race and someone was trying to tell me but they were busy so he never got into detail about it.

OK then You've got for plain jane bathroom scales, not the digital ones, find a level spot in your shop or garage. Place all four scales down read outs on scales sticking out so you can read them,then get the kart on the scales, then get in the kart just like you are going to drive it, get someone to read each scale and add all four numbers together (now you have the total weight of the kart ) lets just say its( 375) lbs. If you want to check front weight and the scales in the front say (87 lbs) on the left front and (90) lbs on the right front that is added together to be (177 lbs). So the front is 177 divided by total weight of 375 of kart that equals 0.472 X 100 equals 47.20 percent front weight. Now you need to do the front , left side, and cross weights (cross is left rear and right front). Hope this helps !
Left side weight LF 87 + LR 129 =216 divided by 375 total weight equals 0.576 X 100 equals 57.60 percent.

Good explanation---also before you set your kart on make sure the 4 scales read about the same --stand on each scale and then adjust each one to read the same weight--We used this setup for a while early on and it works well. Check levelness using a 4' level and shim up the low spots--all 4 scales being level with each other is critical---hard to find a dead level floor. One other thing--set your tire pressures before you scale. John

Last edited:
use 12x12 vinyl floor tiles under the scales to make them level. Menards usually has cheapies for 50 cents each or something. Check the scales for level with a 4 foot level.

There are programs online to do the math for you. Not all of them are exact, but I guess pretty close. I have one for Excel that is dead on and you can have it for free. Fifteen pages of kart stuff.
Email anunley@austin.rr.com
Don’t message me here on Bob’s
Comments, compliments, criticisms and questions always welcome.

The program I use is called kart smart, just google it and download for free. It does all the math for you.

not hard but can be time consuming when you have to do the math after every adjustment, I've done it both ways.
You said you use a computer program, you do know the majority of people will only have a computer in the house and not where they work on a kart, it will take more time to write the wheel weights down, walk to the house, take off your shoes, use the computer, than it does to do the math, and with a hand calculator any changes to the kart can show how much the change made

You said you use a computer program, you do know the majority of people will only have a computer in the house and not where they work on a kart, it will take more time to write the wheel weights down, walk to the house, take off your shoes, use the computer, than it does to do the math, and with a hand calculator any changes to the kart can show how much the change made

I do use a computer program with my laptop in the garage, it's all about what works best for you. I used to do the math on paper but I found this way to be faster and easier. I can enter my weights and it will give me percentages and break it down into cross, left ,front and rear. can also input your desired percentages and it will break down what each wheel should weigh. If I were using a desk top sure, it wouldn't make sense but I'm not sure how many guys out there are using desk tops these days. I also bring the laptop to the kart when hooking up to our Digatrons.

I do use a computer program with my laptop in the garage, it's all about what works best for you. I used to do the math on paper but I found this way to be faster and easier. I can enter my weights and it will give me percentages and break it down into cross, left ,front and rear. can also input your desired percentages and it will break down what each wheel should weigh. If I were using a desk top sure, it wouldn't make sense but I'm not sure how many guys out there are using desk tops these days. I also bring the laptop to the kart when hooking up to our Digatrons.
The OP Meyer22 is just getting into karting, you posted an answer that best fit YOUR situation and not his.

it's all about what works best for you

I was simply presenting an option just like anyone else was. I'm not sure where you're coming from here. We don't really know what's best for Meyer22's situation do we ? Maybe they have a lap top, maybe they don't. They will have to decide on their own what works best. Either way I feel the criticism is unwarranted.

When I said "Its all about what works best for you" I was suggesting that if paper and a calculator works for you (xxx#40) then use that method.

Here's a little help making the cheap bathroom scales more accurate.

You can 'zero' the scales or make them weight things the same by putting 40 pounds or so, what ever you have that's heavy and easy to handle, on each of them one scale at at time.

Put weight on one scale and see what the scale reads. Then take the same weight to the next scale and adjust it to read the same weight as the first. Then do the other two.

What your doing is trying to make sure all four scales will work and read weight the same. You don't have to have an "exact" weight reading to figure out percentages, you just need each scale to read the same weight, the same. If you always then put the same weight on the scales to make them read alike, they your reference will always be the same.

I'm like dirtmissle my son has built a program on our lap top so we can take it to the shop. I can tell him what percentages I want on a kart, and he can tell me what each wheel weight should be . Great Program !

use 12x12 vinyl floor tiles under the scales to make them level. Menards usually has cheapies for 50 cents each or something. Check the scales for level with a 4 foot level.
Once you weigh and record the #'s rotate the kart 180 degrees, if the weights don't repeat your scales aren't level.

I'm like dirtmissle my son has built a program on our lap top so we can take it to the shop. I can tell him what percentages I want on a kart, and he can tell me what each wheel weight should be . Great Program !
I’d like to see that program. I have one that runs with Excel but I have my doubts if it’s any good. Oh, it comes up with the right numbers all right, but of the 150 or so copies that I’ve given out, only a few have said anything about it. Good or Bad.

Back