I run clone gear question

Erik05

So first time ever racing Saturday did not go as planned but had so much fun. A question I have seems like I was getting out powered at start and coming out of turns I was under power I was turning a 6.667 rpm what is ball park per tooth moving up or down rpm difference

Remember what gears you were running when you hit 6667 rpm because after you get more driving practice and more tire knowledge you will be in the throttle longer, and turning more rpms. I suspect you were pretty close on gearing, just inexperienced.

For Sr Clone for now keep rear gear between a 57 and 61 use whichever front driver works out to hit your target rpm’s which should be around 6875 rpm.

So first time ever racing Saturday did not go as planned but had so much fun. A question I have seems like I was getting out powered at start and coming out of turns I was under power I was turning a 6.667 rpm what is ball park per tooth moving up or down rpm difference
If you aren't accelerating enough to keep up on restarts and are getting beat out of the corner I would check you're clutch. Specifically at what RPM it's set to engage. I run bully clutches on my kids karts and the setup info from bully specifies, "The actual engagement should be at or up to 200 RPM’s above the peak torque of the engine." with recommended starting engagement RPMS for each class and instructions on how to tweak it. A 14 tooth drive should be helping you off the corner. So I would definitely check the clutch engagement.
Also I don't ever like running anything bigger than a 61 or 62 on the axle because then my chain guard isn't doing anything. We don't run mini gears but if I'm in a position where I've got to put a 63 on I drop a tooth on the driver and make the corresponding change on the back. This may just be personal preference and trying to avert disaster before it begins. When I was in the drivers seat 20 years ago I threw a chain (with a big gear on the axle) on the restart while leading a big race and watched my competition run the last three laps from the infield.

Back