I think I'm catching the bug again...

Chris Nettles

Hey there, everyone. I've been looking around the internet for people that might want to buy my old karts and equipment, but I can't seem to find anyone that wants stuff that's over a decade old. It looks like it's time to dust off the karts and hop back into the drivers seat. The last time I was in a kart was at the 2010 FKA Christmas race at Crossroads Motorplex. I sheared off two flywheel keys before practice ended that night, and packed up the karts. There are a few Flathead motors kicking around my house, one of which is Stock appearing and the other two were built to be run in Stock Medium at Maxville Speedway. does anyone have any tips for getting back into karting? I swear I haven't had as much fun since I stopped racing. I know that I'm probably not going to be competitive with a 2002 Ultramax, but that won't stop me from having a good time.

Hey, the same thing happened to me at the beginning of the season. I went to my tracks first practice day/swap meet to sell everything, trailer, 04 and 01 Ultramaxs, 3 flatheads and 1 animal, the whole 9 yards. I hadn't raced since 06. We had a few tire kickers on piece here and there, but we wanted to sell as package so there wouldn't be any temptation afterwards. Well they opened practice and I had some gear and figured Id go have a little fun. We were actually fast! Nothing changed on the kart since 06, mind you I was 14 then and 21 now, other than seat being a wee bit small and uncomfortable, it still handled great and was fast. Needless to say, I got bit and after a few races, bought a clone and a new set of tires since I was still on those tires from 05-06. I started winning races again. So, anyways, just go ahead and get it ready and go racing;, it'll pull your strings until do. So other than getting a clone since there aren't many flatheads left and new tires, I didn't really do anything else except small things like oil, prep, bearings, etc.

I hate to bring this thread back from the grave, but I felt like starting another one wouldn't be right. I went to a local track last night, watched a few races, and saw that there were three guys running Flatheads, and twenty with BSP engines. I guess that's a perfect example of cost and demand. Time is a premium right now, since I'm still in my senior year of High School. I just don't have the time to tinker with my own engines. Sure, I could have someone build a flathead for me, but that's expensive. I could gut the governor in a clone in a night or two. I guess what I'm getting at here is that it's time for me to buy a Clone. I was looking around, and I saw Harbor Freight's Predator motor. It looks similar to the blue Clone motors that a few people had when the Box Stock Project was just getting started. Is there anything about this motor that makes it illegal to run against the yellow BSP engines?

Unless your track specifically allows the Predator, it is likely too large as far as displacement goes. It's not legal for AKRA,etc.... The tracks in my area are allowing it and they are doing really well so far. You can catch them on sale, then slap a 25% off coupon on top of that and they're $89.99! Dover has a bolt on kit for like $69 that includes top plate, fuel pump, filter adapter and filter, chain guard,etc.... Remove the governor, then all you'd need is a pipe. Our pro stock rules allow a box stock clone (or Predator), aftermarket pipe and filter, and that's it.

Hey Chris it's Phil from Maxville. Did'nt get time to talk with you much but wanted to mention that Jimmy Sims at Box Stock Project sells a dyno tuned race ready bsp with all the goodies for around 450 bucks. I'm gonna get one for my self. Go to their web site and check it out. And do'nt worry about your chassis. We run someone in my 03 prowler just about every week and if the tires are right it's always competitive. We have a predator class as an entry level class. Give me a call during the week and I'll tell you more about it. Predators can't be made legal in bsp classes because they are a higher cc engine.

Hey, thanks for the response! Sorry if I'm bugging you with all of these questions. $450 sounds like a great deal on a race-ready motor.

Back