I want to better my clone but stay akra legal

Aaron.w

Hey everyone I'm new to racing karts I have a pretty good understanding about mechanics in general.
I'm no professional but would love some tips on improving my box stock clone. I would love any kind of tips to get small gains. I just started racing a few weeks ago so I'm pretty rusty on my akra rules. The question is what kind of stock parts can I order and stay legal. 10.8 green stripe valves? I bought a box stock clone that has been pre assembled to basic specs. My first big race was saterday night and the pack slowly pulled away. Coming into the corner I was pushing 5900 rpms I know it can handle more. It's a big track good long turns I feel like I should gear it to be around 6300. Any thoughts

I would't be worried about rebuild gains until I proved I got the max out of it, ANY AKRA built motor is gonna get pulled at only turning it 5900 rpm into the corner, what size track is big ? which track ? what was your gearing ?

I would't be worried about rebuild gains until I proved I got the max out of it, ANY AKRA built motor is gonna get pulled at only turning it 5900 rpm into the corner, what size track is big ? which track ? what was your gearing ?
It's a big 3/8 track I was running a 16/60
I think next race I will try a 63 or 64
I have ran this motor on the same track different kart with a 16/68 which was pulling away in the corners but was getting caught at the end of the straight

My kart is pushing on entry tight in center and loose on exit so I have an issue there also.. i need to get my kart scaled but would rather get the Info and do it myself

It's a big 3/8 track I was running a 16/60
I think next race I will try a 63 or 64
I have ran this motor on the same track different kart with a 16/68 which was pulling away in the corners but was getting caught at the end of the straight
What was your RPM reading with the 16/68 on the other kart ?

Not knowing the dimensions of the track makes it harder to evaluate a solution. Not knowing your set up makes it even harder.

Shouldn't Aaron stay with the gear he has and work
on keeping the speed he's losing thru the corners ?
Pushing on entry, tight in center, loose on exit.
He's got serious handling issues not gearing issues.

I didnt have a gauge on it but I was running out of gear 3/4 down the straight I feel like 63 would have me close or closer than where I was
Ya a 16/68 was way off, never run that big of rear gear with a clone, If indeed it's a 3/8 mile with lower grip not great momentum it should be close 17/61 or 62 on gearing for a good AKRA built clone.

I have less than 2 weeks before my next race I think im going to focus on handling and scaling I will have kart details in a bit

I have less than 2 weeks before my next race I think im going to focus on handling and scaling I will have kart details in a bit
My favorite saying "speed costs, how fast do you want to go"?
In this day and age, attempting to race without a gauge is foolish at best. You want to go faster, but you have no way to determine if you're actual going faster with changes. Maybe I'm wrong, tell me where you're getting your lap times from.

Last edited:
My favorite saying "speed costs, how fast do you want to go"?
In this day and age, attempting to race without a gauge is foolish at best. You want to go faster, but you have no way to determine if you're actual going faster with changes. Maybe I'm wrong, tell me where you're getting your lap times from. There are very longs is a.com is her out latei will the moment you sponsor job on the short list of quality candidates for resume database delivers 2 1/2 times more tires than the other jobs a month according through the HR 2019 70.com/75 mg your first job post is like don't know that America's political and parental will be able to control the rightThe heart rate refrain and you will you
I have a guage on now

Last racing I was hitting 5800-5900 end of straight but i feel like my handling is so poor my motor is struggling due to so much momentum loss in corners

I have a guage on now
My attention span must be getting bad. Reread my post, the previous version, at the end, made no sense at all. Sorry, must pay more attention before posting something. Speech to text software is good today, but you gotta pay close attention to when you turn it on and off.

Your about 1000 rpms lower than you should be at that point of the track;)
I feel that way also but the other karts are running almost the same ratio and when I look at the videos of us running it dont sound like they are turning 6500 or 6700...I know I would like to turn 6500 at the end of the straight ....I'm going home to scale my kart and get my frame info

My shop has a decent floor I built it myself I'm going to use the precise blocks and a single bathroom scale. I know it will be alot of work but if I use blocks the exact same height as the scale and rotate the scale I should be able to give a half accurate percentage as to why my kart is handling poorly I do plan on getting a better scaling method in the future but as of right now it is all I have to work with.

Nothing wrong with bathroom scales. I prefer analog. The digital don't stay on long enough.
If you have a known weight to calibrate them, they'll work good. As far as being level, turn the kart 180° and see if the weights are the same. Adjust as needed. 12 inch bathroom tiles can help level them. Sheets of paper to get them even closer.
I have software to do the math. There's also a set up sheet to fill in and a set up sheet to print out and fill in at the track.

You fill in the corner weights and get the percentages, or put in the percentages, along with kart and driver weight, and it tells you what corner weights you need. Change the percentages and all the calculated corner weights change. Let's you play "what if". It's an Excel spreadsheet.
alvinnunley62@gmail.com for instructions and pricing.

Back