Icon numbers for indoors

Making good speed on a bigger track with recommended setup numbers from Phantom. Wondering if changes were needed for the small indoor track. Been racing on a 1/6 mile outdoor, going to try a 1/10 mile indoor with it.

Nose: 46.5-47.0%
Left: 55.5-56.0%
Cross: 58.0-58.5%

LF: Camber: +0.25 / Caster: 7
RF: Camber: -2.5 / Caster: 11

Stagger: Front: 1 3/8" / Rear: 1 1/4" - 1 1/2"

Toe: RF: Out 1/16" / LF: Square 0"

Rear Track Width: 39" (RR Rim: 1/8" from frame rail)

Good luck!
James

Making good speed on a bigger track with recommended setup numbers from Phantom. Wondering if changes were needed for the small indoor track. Been racing on a 1/6 mile outdoor, going to try a 1/10 mile indoor with it.
What always surprises me is how people can give setup information without knowing the radius of the turns, or the weight of the kart, or the class they are running.
Not having ever raced LTO, I’m assuming it’s just something I’m not aware of. Can anyone explain?

Comments, compliments, criticisms and questions always welcome.

What always surprises me is how people can give setup information without knowing the radius of the turns, or the weight of the kart, or the class they are running.
Not having ever raced LTO, I’m assuming it’s just something I’m not aware of. Can anyone explain?

Al, I've been to Williamston and won a few times. He listed his weight, 250 lbs, so I'd assume it's a Jr 1 class on his '09 ICON. That's your explanation.

James

I think I speak for the majority of this forum when I say, while I dont hate you for trying to learn, we are very tiresome of your input and comments. You have 0 dirt experience. I can sit here and say, the only way to learn, is by doing. Get a kart, tires, motor, driver... And start learning... I cant prove with data, because there is no way to show the difference in chassis that I can calculate... But I have 2 totally different karts in my shop. I go to a 1/4 mile track, 1 kart takes 7/8 rear stagger, the other takes 1 1/4... No spreadsheet can explain it. The karts are just totally different, and require a different amount to rotate. And I have never seen the stagger affect my straigthaway speed. At all!!! In fact, I have won more races on the kart with 1 1/4 rear stagger, on a 1/4 mile track, than I have the other. There are just too many variables in chassis design and setup, to even give a good guess at where to start with a spreadsheet on any given track. Turn radius is bogus info if you take it from 1 chassis design to the next. I am sick of seeing your question, and nobody answers it intellegent enough for you to stop asking it. Do you ever stop and think... Instead you get offensive and defensive in your own little way, that has gotten to the point that it bothers me. There is hundreds of years of combined experience on this forum! Sorry to hijack this thread, but Im sick of him chiming in with this turn radius B.S. Broken record, give it a rest!!!

Al, I've been to Williamston and won a few times. He listed his weight, 250 lbs, so I'd assume it's a Jr 1 class on his '09 ICON. That's your explanation.

James
That’s a good answer, thank you.
Still, you could have mentioned that in your first post. How else would I know?
I think sometimes we forget that this is not private e-mail; a lot of people are listening. Just saying you had raced there would go a long way to give credibility to your answer.
Thanks for the heads up.

I think I speak for the majority of this forum when I say, while I dont hate you for trying to learn, we are very tiresome of your input and comments.
What gives you the right to speak for the rest of the people on this forum? Just wondering.

James is the customer service representative for PRC.

1/10 mile track is going to need more stagger. The track could be a circle, but that would only disregard any losses due to stagger. We have to make it through the corners to be fast on the straights.

Williamston doesn't typically require many changes from a standard setup other than rear stagger. If a kart has been making speed I typically like to change as little as possible because setups have to work with driver styles, tire programs, etc. If I were taking my kart to Williamston and it had been fast other places I'd leave it alone and ride it a time or two just to see what I had. If it stinks it can always be changed at the track. However, if you do decide to change setups, either before or at the track, James has some particular experience here and some good advice.

Todd
www.dynamicsofspeed.com

Thanks to all that helped. Kart handled great with very few at track adjustments. Finished 3rd on Friday. Had tire issues all day Saturday, went from 7th to 2nd before finishing 3rd in final.

Back