Icon push

Yessir appreciate it
I have a 07 icon. I had the same problem with my cross my motor guy who also builds karts pull the left rear frame rail down and i got more cross out of mine now. Icons were bad for that. I can get 66 cross out of mine i run between 63% to 66% cross in mine. I did have to flip the slugs till i had all that done i hope this helps you out

You have messed with so many things that you are now in a no man's land. One thing that has been beaten into my brain by people that are a lot smarter than me is. Never change more than one thing at a time, Never, under any circumstances, Don't even think about it.
Put the pills back like they are supposed to go. Make sure you have the percentages close to what Phantom said. Good tires for the track you are running. I owned an Icon and it would fly. only thing I notice is that you are chasing a push with cross. That usually will not fix a push. Look at rear end. you have too much grip in the rear or not enough in the front. or not enough rear stagger. I would just go up to 47.5 front. Set rr as close in as possible without tire hitting frame. X Factor spindle is a Plus. Set the rear like phantom says. Pin left rear bearing and collar the right rear bearing. Unless you are really heavy Wiggy bar probably won't help. If you still push with 47.5 front move the Left rear out a little. Icons are tire sensitive!!! Make sure you have them right. Maybe run a little harder left rear.
Just my opinion! And sometimes I get my own setup wrong. But don't fixate on just cross. It is nothing but a fine tuning tool. An Icon will turn with a lot less cross if the rest of the setup and tires are right. I have know people to run lower 50s cross. and win.

First thing I'd be figuring out way only 58 % cross with washers totally jacked both sides you should be able to get a lot more, then once I figured that out even up washers more balanced set it at 60 % cross, Then I'd take a good look at my tire program and adjust on it adding some bite if nothing else, then if i still had the push I'd move the RR out a quarter inch, and take 2 flats of RF neg camber out of it.
Good Luck !!
I think he is low on cross because he's only got .5in front stagger, if i understood his response about stagger correct. Most guys are 1.25-1.5 across the front.

Find a flat surface, set the disassembled kart on 3 equal in height points and start measuring. One point at the center of the kart in the back, 2 points in the front. Not under the spindles, I'm thinking under the frame rails before they turn up to meet the spindle yoke's. I know it's time-consuming, but pretty simple.

I've got an 08 icon myself. With standard spindles, LR 1/8th down, RR 0, 1-1/2" F Stagger, 7/8-1" Rear stagger, 2-3/4 RF camber, 1/4-1/2 LF camber, 8 & 11 caster & 380 weight. 2 washers on bottom of RF Spindle & LF 3 washers on top. I can get as much as 69 cross but 63-66 as mentioned seems to be the best, 56-58 left & no more than 46 nose is what I've always ran in it & has been fast everywhere. Any heavier than 380 I'd be in the 66-68 range cross & 58-60 LS & nose the same. LR should weigh between 135-150. The icon likes tires wiped up with bite or atleast mine does, mine will push if you dont have enough bite & will push if LR weighs more than 150. If you put these #'s on yours & 58 cross is all you can get especially with the Xfactor & they are new spindles then I'm gonna bet either the RF is bent up or LR frame rail is bent up. With Xfactor spindles you shouldn't have a problem getn atleast 74% cross easy.

I'm still confused when you say 3/8 " LR from inside of wheel to cassette hanger ? If so where are you getting the 33 1/2" measurement from center to center ?
Put the RR tire on & measure from the bearing hanger to the wheel, move hub in or out till this measurement is 3/8 of an inch. Some may measure tread width different but for me with Maxxis tires & both RR & LR tires bolted on i measure from outside of RR to outside of LR. Measurement is from line to line (line being the first line of the 3 lines on the edge & the one closets to the surface of the tire). Move LR hub in or out to get the 33-1/2"

Put the RR tire on & measure from the bearing hanger to the wheel, move hub in or out till this measurement is 3/8 of an inch. Some may measure tread width different but for me with Maxxis tires & both RR & LR tires bolted on i measure from outside of RR to outside of LR. Measurement is from line to line (line being the first line of the 3 lines on the edge & the one closets to the surface of the tire). Move LR hub in or out to get the 33-1/2"
Changed my response because I just realized I read this wrong I think lol
Am I now understanding with both RR and LR on, you measure from OUTSIDE line to OUTSIDE line and it's only 33 1/2 ". ?

This is one well of a thread! Lots of great info! Just picked up a 08 Icon. Thanks guys!

Last edited by a moderator:
the Icon I like 1/8 slugs hole down bottom hole LR; zero slugs bottom hole RR. When I took rake out of the back of the kart it tended to like to knock down the fence .
More bite in the tires .
Wiggy bar ?
What do you mean by “tended to like to knock down the fence” ??

Back