ICON setup

I’m helping a friend scale his kart this evening. It is a PRC ICON.

Does the ICON have both front and rear caster holes for the lead?

Which caster hole is best?

If anyone has any key points about this kart I appreciate it.

RF has front and rear, LF only has 1 set centered. I believe RF back hole is what was recommended; but as always let the stop watch determine that.

ICON also uses 0, 1/16 and 1/8 pills/slugs in the rear bearing cassette hangers. 1/8 hole down is recommended on the LR.

The one I got from Cookie

I lead with the RF, and had the LF in the back hole.
But I used Triton blocks and spindles.

For the rear, I ran 1/8 pill in LR, moved to top hole, and dropped the RR with 0 pills.

Always turned great, and quick!

You run about the same numbers on it as any other kart. 1/8 pill hole down in the bottom hole, RF lead in back hole. I personally don't ever like running a hard left rear. I prefer to add a tad bit more stagger to get through the turn and prep the left rear about the same as the rights. Of course a little less inside prep. But left rears will always duro harder than rights due to how thin the tire is

Triton blocks and spindles would change the way that chassis works .
Considerably.
Please explain how. Do you mean changing blocks and spindles on both sides? So the icon is 10 and 10 KPI and the triton is 7.5 and 15. But the blocks are also welded at an angle of 7.5 And 15 on the triton. So what would the end result be for kpi on each?

No idea but it won't be 10/10 any longer .
The big change would be camber gain or loss . Which also translates to weight jacking .

I was recomended too put Icon/ Seraph , Block/spindels on my 35 to settle the Hopping .
Never tried , it never stoped hopping .
gotta be something there .

I was recomended too put Icon/ Seraph , Block/spindels on my 35 to settle the Hopping .
Never tried , it never stoped hopping .
gotta be something there .
I was thinking, maybe it would be the in between. Since the plates are welded at 10 and 10 the end result from using 7.5 and 15 caster blocks and spindles would be 8.7 left and 12.5 right

I would feel the same . Though that angle may be 8.7-12.5 .
The actual axle too barrel angle is unchanged . So when camber is reset the king pin angle also changes .
Its a complicated .

Please tell me if this thought is wrong .
The spindle build angle is fixed .
Designed for say 2-3* camber .
No matter what angle the L Block mounting point is at . Say 15* .
If you set your camber within that 2-3* range the king pin angle is going too be whatever angle or real close there of. Its original build angle .

I was thinking, maybe it would be the in between. Since the plates are welded at 10 and 10 the end result from using 7.5 and 15 caster blocks and spindles would be 8.7 left and 12.5 right
Caster plates are welded to the chassis at a medium caster/camber range that the chassis manufacturer decides.
7.5/15 degree spindles is the axle in relation to the spindle tube aka kpi, that kpi will be the same no matter what kart you put the spindle/ L block combo on

So you're saying I take an 8/12 to a 7.5/15 nothing will change due to the caster plate?

The axle inclination would change something for the KPI, since you're mounting the wheel at an inclined or uninclined angle compared to the old spindle, correct?

I went through my Icon and switched it to the above and it handled different in between the two setups. Just trying to understand this as well.

So you're saying I take an 8/12 to a 7.5/15 nothing will change due to the caster plate?

The axle inclination would change something for the KPI, since you're mounting the wheel at an inclined or uninclined angle compared to the old spindle, correct?

I went through my Icon and switched it to the above and it handled different in between the two setups. Just trying to understand this as well.
Alvin and I discussed this at length in several threads. Some with good drawings.

Alvin would quit when it didn't show what he wanted.

Search kingpin inclination, or spindle angle.

No . the king pins are designed at the stated angles .
nothing can change that .
those angles change how the chassis reacts .

Back