Ideal trailer size

Looking for everyone’s opinion on the ideal trailer size for a 2 kart operation... karts, scales, tire racks, tool boxes, generator,etc

Looking for everyone’s opinion on the ideal trailer size for a 2 kart operation... karts, scales, tire racks, tool boxes, generator,etc

Trailers are like decks and garages, they ain't never going to be too big.

Get the biggest thing you can afford and have a place to keep it.

We raced two karts for awhile out of a chevy Astro Van.

I'm looking at a 7x12 for a 2-3 kart op. Plan is to stack the karts in a custom rack.

(I literally shove my entire single kart operation into the back of a 2005 Toyota 4runner....)

I have raced 3 to 4 karts out of a 6x12 with a generator, air compressor and everything else. It can be done. I now have a 8.5 by 20 for 3 karts and it is much easier to store everything but then you start bringing stuff that you probably won't ever need and start running out of room!

For me it was 6x14. Single axle. The 6 foot width means I can tow without having to add wider mirrors. The single axle because where we are I can get by without having to have the truck and trailer inspected every year. Any bigger and I do. That adds a few hundred in labor and more to government to renew my plates each year... I would love to have a bigger trailer but this is in my budget and the truth is I could fit a third kart if needed.

I'm looking at a 7x12 for a 2-3 kart op. Plan is to stack the karts in a custom rack.

(I literally shove my entire single kart operation into the back of a 2005 Toyota 4runner....)

For those doing this size and smaller, yup, anything can be done if you try hard enough, many of us have been there. As one of them, IMO, 7 wide is fine if you want that limit, but go at least 16 feet long or more if you can afford it. You would be amazed at the storage and work space options this opens up, and, especially if you go to 8 feet wide, it also means you can go to a full sized sprint or late model someday if the desire dictates. JMO, based on short term success and long term frustration over 20 years of transporting karts, and then sprints and other larger race cars as drivers developed (should have started with an 18 or 20 footer in the beginning even though it would have been overkill back in the beginning, lol).

i run two karts out of an 8x16' and couldn't see myself doing it in something smaller. perfect size for working tires. just wish i had a ramp door instead of barn style

6x12 V-Nose for me. Running 1 flat and adding another flat/jr champ. The V-Nose added about 2' in interior length when measured from front of V to back of trailer (interior measurement) So it ended up being more space than I originally planned for.

Personally I am not going big car racing or any of that so wasn't a concern for me. So with that being said I bought a trailer to fit my current needs.

Like any other part of your racing program the devil is in the details. What I mean by that is the interior layout and components. PitPosse, PitPal, etc. all make good lightweight stuff to help with the layout. For me I am still deciding how I want to configure the front from the side door forward. I have seen quite a few trailers that could have had a much more efficient layout.

Start looking at things like generator and air compressor size as well. Only take what you need and start a list. Over time you start to really fine tune your tools, parts and pieces list into needs/wants.

I race a single kart out of a 7 x 12. If I had two karts, the only way I'd want to do it is with a double stacker kart stand. If I had 3 I'd get something larger, and probably 8.5 wide.

We raced 2 karts out of 6x12. No gen or compressor. Didn’t need them. As for a cheep stacking. Screwed 2x6 on wall. Used joist hanger with 2x4 cross. Remove the 2x4 when not used to walk in. Stack kart on 2x4 with bungee cords. Never had any problems. If you do this make sure you washers on screws so not to sink in wood and go through out side. Just remember that a single axle trailer with a 3500lb axle is gross vehicle weight. Mine is a twin axle 7000lb GVW. Tows great.

Attachments

• AB1B509E-84F5-427B-B1CF-046CBB418918.jpeg
    AB1B509E-84F5-427B-B1CF-046CBB418918.jpeg
    108.8 KB · Views: 84
I have an 8.5 x 18 with built in cabinets. I get three karts inside on stands no problem. I think i can fit 4 but havent tried it yet. if you have any thoughts of working on karts inside the trailer get an 8.5 foot wide trailer. there is just barley enough room to close the door and work on two karts inside when the air conditioner is on.

Back