If not a Starter, What is it?

TampaSteve

Brand new stater in the car. Battery is not even 18mo old.
When firing the car, it doesnt always have the 'umph' you would expect and actually took 6 tries to get it to catch last week one day.
Plugs/wires a little old, but car runs fine & doesnt miss at all.
What else do I need to look at?

Thanks fellas.

Dirty or loose terminal powering the starter? Timing off. 18 month old battery but are the terminals still clean and tight. It's also possible your 18 month old battery has gone bad. If it only happens on the first start in the am, you may have something draining the battery some over night. You could be having cross fire or loosing spark because of a bad wire and when it starts up and dries out everything is fine.

just some guesses proly none of them right

Thanks paul.
Terminals are good - and tight since had to disconnect/reconnect while dropping the starter in.
Timing belt is only 10k old.
Last time it happened was when temp dropped - which some said it can do this.
Fired right up at airport after it was there for 3 days though.

cables could be corroded internally.
leaking fuel or water into cylinder usually after warm whop whop whop then rrm rrm
describe get it to catch meaning it wont engage and free spins or will not rotate engine or rotates slowly.
free spin bendix /flywheel. rotate engine by hand a few inches. re try
no rotation or slow, bad starter motor or interference with flywheel IE: some need
shimmed. there is a small hand held amp gauge for testing starter draw back in the day 15.00

what kind of vehicle is it, you're listing general symptoms and people are affering good advice, but it could be related to another problem

I'd go with the ground also or the internal corrosion of cables, don't buy a starter from autozone there iroan starters (inspect repair only as needed) junk

just because it is a new starter doesn't mean it is a good starter. My son bought a 'new' one from carquest a while back and after installing it and having cranking problems we figured out it had a bad bearing and was defective. Got another one and it worked great.

just because it is a new starter doesn't mean it is a good starter. My son bought a 'new' one from carquest a while back and after installing it and having cranking problems we figured out it had a bad bearing and was defective. Got another one and it worked great.

x2 had it happen with starters and alternaters just because they r new doesn't mean that there is no defects in them.

yes the battery could of had the plates come lose and got together and it is shorting the system out some. My neighbor had it happen to his motorcycle he ask me what was wrong it wouldn't crank over write and I told him same thing and the other neighbor was there and he said no its not that well one day it wouldn't start and he ask me again and I said its ur battery well he changed it and now it starts jmo Im not a pro.

Back