If you had a choice of open engine you would choose?????

ecc_33

Wanting to buy a open motor thats fairly reliable. Like rebuilding once a year like 15 races a year. I race dirt track oval. I really like the sudam 131's and the big block honda's. Whats your al's opinions on the subject! Feel free to add your engine of choice and proposed reliable hp it would produce. On edit: I know this isn't the engine part of the forum but really felt like this was the place to post this.

i race Opens . my most powerful engine now is the OHV 390 i have ran in top 3 with it against 450 bike engines and 2 strokes of all kinds . the Tecumseh Star engine is A BEAST ALSO !! I like them lots ........ will you be building this engine yourself ??

I am a heavy machinery mechanic for igel construction company. http://www.igelco.com/home/ Even know i am more that capable to build "a" engine. To find every ounce of reliable hp out of something and keep it resonably priced I couldn't do. I know how much r&d costs and can't afford to buy blocks/heads/valves/cams/spring/ etc and dyno time to do it myself. I can and would assemble myself if need be. Mike, I have looked on your site time and time again. What is that last engine on your site that says detuned to 52 hp but can make over 60? I like the sounds of that engine! Pricey but sweet! I used to race motorcross/ supercross on quads. My last one was a 450 yfz. I would also like to stay air cooled for the simplicity.

what kind of cheap hp you getting with the Star mike

the nice thing about a Star is you can get a long rod & forged piston combo , a good cam & springs . and carb set up . this can all be done at home . Stars love it if you pay attention to port work and valves also

i race Opens . my most powerful engine now is the OHV 390 i have ran in top 3 with it against 450 bike engines and 2 strokes of all kinds . the Tecumseh Star engine is A BEAST ALSO !! I like them lots ........ will you be building this engine yourself ??

I never dreamed of a tecumseh engine being a power house lol. Im not mocking as i value your opinion but all the tecumseh up draft carb engines (mainly snow blowers) have been crappy. You def have my attention. Searching yahoo now!!!!

the nice thing about a Star is you can get a long rod & forged piston combo , a good cam & springs . and carb set up . this can all be done at home . Stars love it if you pay attention to port work and valves also

Does Tec still make the Star motor? I was under the impression that when they made the change from flat heads to OHV they also did away with the Star.

I never dreamed of a tecumseh engine being a power house lol. Im not mocking as i value your opinion but all the tecumseh up draft carb engines (mainly snow blowers) have been crappy. You def have my attention. Searching yahoo now!!!!

make no mistake the STAR is a POWERFUL ENGINE sure there is newer technology out there available but stars are still winning races out there . Mike Clements has some Star Engines ready now . he has his personal engine he built for himself for a weekend 30 year aniverssary race this year it is NASTY it has 1 weekend of racing on it

after research looks like the flat head style engine. Like the Tecumseh is the head is the restricting part of the engine for making big power. I would like a engine that makes at least 50hp. I do like the Tecumseh as it is very different and haven't heard of it yet. alittle late on the post and read through some upper posts. Thats amazing. Very cool that it was that responsive to upgrades. Sorry to hear it isn't made anymore.

Wanting to buy a open motor thats fairly reliable. Like rebuilding once a year like 15 races a year. I race dirt track oval. I really like the sudam 131's and the big block honda's. Whats your al's opinions on the subject! Feel free to add your engine of choice and proposed reliable hp it would produce. On edit: I know this isn't the engine part of the forum but really felt like this was the place to post this.

you have pm'z

i like tim taft's idea, he does his own lower cases to accept 250cc top ends for various motorcross engines, he say's some will make around 60 hp @ 11,000 rpm and they have twice the torque of a sudam :) sounds good to me.... and the price is very reasonable, and probably less then a new sudam.

Reliable, open and 50hp is not a combo that generally goes together. Forget industrial based, you're in the Wankle, JAWA and 2-cycle category.

Back