Ignition / Coils

rainman

I am having some electrical issues with my Sudam. Trying to check the coil 1st. It has a Selettra igntion/coul, but not sure if that Selettra stator is commpatible with other couls like Motoplat, PVL, etc, since the only Selettras I have are on my P51 in Spain or some of my PCRs that I wouldn't like to mess with. Thanks.

Just a thought here .
The rotor and armature make the electricity .
The coil turns it into a high voltage spark .
I would think the digital electrics for advance and retard would be in the coil .
It is a capacitive discharge system ,. Correct ?

Just a thought here .
The rotor and armature make the electricity .
The coil turns it into a high voltage spark .
I would think the digital electrics for advance and retard would be in the coil .
It is a capacitive discharge system ,. Correct ?
True for some, but not for all. That's why I am asking. If I am not wrong Motoplats for example do not have any advance or retard built into the coil, just straight.

True for some, but not for all. That's why I am asking. If I am not wrong Motoplats for example do not have any advance or retard built into the coil, just straight.
This is true. Motoplat coils have a flat timing curve through and through whether it be 2K or 20K. All timing is done at the flywheel. I dunno much about selettra but the style visually looks the same. PVL is where things got weird with the advent of KZ/ICA/TAG/JICA. Some retard, some rev limit etc.

Just a note...Selletra ignition armatures (field windings) are a fine wire. The resin fill on the back side can very easily be cracked and 90 percent of the time will ruin the field. I have seen this numerous times where the armature has not been seated properly to the casting and the bolts have been run in ; making it twist and “pop” into place causing damage. I have never had any issues with any of my own ignitions.

PVL makes a compatible coil that works with the Motoplates.

the Sellettra is in a class of its own.

Just a note...Selletra ignition armatures (field windings) are a fine wire. The resin fill on the back side can very easily be cracked and 90 percent of the time will ruin the field. I have seen this numerous times where the armature has not been seated properly to the casting and the bolts have been run in ; making it twist and “pop” into place causing damage. I have never had any issues with any of my own ignitions.

PVL makes a compatible coil that works with the Motoplates.

the Sellettra is in a class of its own.
That is exactly what I was thinking. There seems to be a bunch of different Selettras though. I never had any issiue with using different Motoplats doesn't matter where they came from. I would like to have a double Motoplat for my twin spark. Hard to find.

Last edited:
Hey guys, my first post here. Thought i´d help as i think i have the answer.
When i fixed my mates Parilla it came with Selettra stator and a PVL coil. Was in pieces though.
After renovating it i checked to se it had spark. It did. Out on the track and...nothing. Wouldn´t start.
Back to the shop and fore some reason i couldn´t say i tried to swap the leads. That did the trick
and it started right up. So far i have only run it on bench, but it sounded ok.

Long story short: PVL coil 105 458 (available from Mondokart and others) will work on Selettra
stator as long as you remember "red is the new black".

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_5616.jpg
    IMG_5616.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 30
Hey guys, my first post here. Thought i´d help as i think i have the answer.
When i fixed my mates Parilla it came with Selettra stator and a PVL coil. Was in pieces though.
After renovating it i checked to se it had spark. It did. Out on the track and...nothing. Wouldn´t start.
Back to the shop and fore some reason i couldn´t say i tried to swap the leads. That did the trick
and it started right up. So far i have only run it on bench, but it sounded ok.

Long story short: PVL coil 105 458 (available from Mondokart and others) will work on Selettra
stator as long as you remember "red is the new black".

Cheers
Are you saying that the red kill wire on the PVL coil is now a ground not the black ground wire to work with the selettra

Are you saying that the red kill wire on the PVL coil is now a ground not the black ground wire to work with the selettra
No, there are two wires coming from the stator and going to the coil.
On my stator they are red and black (or possibly blue and black).
Either way, what you need to do is switch them around so plus from stator
goes to minus on coil and vice versa.

You will get spark whichever way you put them but the engine will only
fire up if they are reversed.

Back