Ignition Side Starter Nut

rainman

I am moving my KT100 on my laydown to the left side as most of you usually run them, so I moved the belt driver to the right side and I got a 2 piece starter nut designed for the ignition side (left side of engine). How do you usually tighten this 2 piece starting nut? Do you 1st tighten the piece that goes on the crank as much a you can and then the piece that bolts into it with the reverse thread? Hard to find them nowadays, by the way, got an extra on ebay just in case. Getting ready for Daytona. Thanks.

I've always torqued the nut, then held the nut with a box wrench, and torqued the lock bolt into it.
You might want to use a little Loctite on them also. I've had them loosen when trying to start something like a 125 Mac. Don't think that will happen on a Yamaha, since they don't have such a pressure spike while starting as the short stroke, big bore Mac does.

Yup. They will loosen and at the worst possible time (starting grid-while flag is waving….). They never loosen at any other time. Never in practice.

Blue Loctite applied after thorough cleaning helps. I believe that the 'red' might be too much.

Someone used to make a one piece starter nut (Hartman?) that used to bolt to the side of the rotor. I miss those...…. Although they could probably be easily fabbed by welding a nut on a "top hat" machined base.

John

It won't give you any guard against coming off unless the left hand thread part bottoms on the end of the shaft.

It won't give you any guard against coming off unless the left hand thread part bottoms on the end of the shaft.

Isn't that what is was designed for, to bottom on the end of the shaft? Not sure if it will reach it or not though. Thanks.

If not, a small spacer, will do.
And I always used RED Loctite.
Easily defeated by heating the lock bolt with a propane torch, as Loctite gives up at about 350f.

Back