Ignition Timing vs Tech Method

Nesloney

STOCK Flywheel
Rules are written like this.
With degree wheel at perfect TDC.
Ignition timing will be checked by aligning the leading edge of the magnet with the trailing edge of the coil. Degree wheel must not exceed 16°.

I interpret this as.....it is not the true ignition timing, but a way for the officials to perform a "relatively" quick check without getting a timing light out and going through the whole process.

Am I interpreting this correctly?

What would the true timing be "about" while following this rule set?

Just curious what the degree difference might be between actual firing point and this tech reading.

6°? 8°? 10°?
Thanks

Last edited:
I have a question to add to it please.

Is the 16 degree number something a little more than anything anyone would expect to find in a stock part?

And from the previous question is setting it to 16 or just below 16 something easy to do or would you have to part though a bunch of them to find one close?

Sorry original poster if I'm out of line with my questions please let me know and i'll delete my post.

Is the 16 degree number something a little more than anything anyone would expect to find in a stock part?

I believe that is the basis yes. 16 being about the most this official has seen measuring a number of these engines.

And from the previous question is setting it to 16 or just below 16 something easy to do or would you have to part though a bunch of them to find one close?
I believe it should be fairly easy to eyeball the flywheel with a degree wheel in place on the PTO side either using a filed key or without a key.
It seems the official would essentially be eyeballing the measurement by aligning the magnet and coil anyway.

Thanks paulkish

Sounds like the L97 rules in Texas.. Its just a point of reference, not exact timing... BUT these engines do have some very low timing and in that general area.. To meet this rule we have seen a couple we had to actually run a offset key in reverse to get within their tolerence.. With this rule they usually don't care what the timing key is as long as its checkes correct..

My question would be >> How do they derive at TDC to set degree wheel? Are they removing cylinder head?

My question would be >> How do they derive at TDC to set degree wheel? Are they removing cylinder head?

That I don't know.....yet.

I've got double interest in this subject.
We operate a track running the same rules as L87 and I am also a driver running under these rules at both tracks.

Disclaimer: We have outsourced the same officiating at our track as L87 for conflict resolution but I'm still trying to learn for both reasons stated.

I assume official will use degree wheel with piston stop after finding "near TDC" then rolling CW and CCW to find perfect.
Zero out degree wheel then align magnet by eye. I need to talk more with current tech-man.

We have sent quite a few engines down there and parts.. WE had to ask questions as well to better understand what they wanted to see and make sure not to cross the lines.. It was our promise to them.. They have a good show going and its gaining momenum..

Karting is in it's infancy down here it seems.
I'm running an "off the shelf" HF engine with great results so far, but it never hurts to "max out" rule package so to speak. On the same note, operating a track has given me a different perspective and desire to understand and learn what we're dealing with.

The only issue is having the rules really tight will someday DQ someone thats bought a engine and did nothing to it.. WE go through a large amount of these engines and have had to put some items aside because they will not pass most tech rooms.. We need to keep in mine this is a 100 buck motor and its amazing the tolerances are as close as they are...

The only issue is having the rules really tight will someday DQ someone thats bought a engine and did nothing to it.. WE go through a large amount of these engines and have had to put some items aside because they will not pass most tech rooms.. We need to keep in mine this is a 100 buck motor and its amazing the tolerances are as close as they are...
I believe most if not all competitors in our area understand this. My fear is that I'll check timing on mine and have to back it off. I'm preparing to check/set mine in the coming days. Fingers crossed.
I wonder if I should be using Bob's anonymously instead of my true name.
LOL
It is what it is I suppose

They'll figure you out eventually. Just go with who you are and put on some thick skin. Believe me,. If anyone knows, I do lol. As for timing, I haven't gotten to the garage due to the flu but my recollection is it is around 23/24 with a timing light. If that is wrong, I will let everyone know.

Back