Improper seat fit

wrecit

Got board and came across several karting crash videos and am a bit worried about how many of the drivers in the videos were on their head still in the kart.

I remember the discussion seemed to come up just about every year before the crash about seats being to loose and drivers wanting to be hugged tighter for g force comfort (we called it all kind of things but maybe this definition makes sense)

Have not been in a seat let alone shopped for one for 11 years but there were several including the one I last used that had wrap around pieces to hold you in better. Guessing from those videos this still holds true.

In a cage kart where you are fairly protected from getting crushed and strapped in you want to stay in the kart.

For safety on a flat kart however you really want to get thrown clear of the kart so you are not trapped under or God forbid on your helmet with the weight of you and your kart on your neck. I know many have been in this position and were "fine"

Maybe this will make sense to someone. I been a carpenter for 30 years and lifted tens of thousands of sheets of 12 ft drywall. 2 years ago I lifted a sheet the same way I always have and tore my bicep tendon and have had 3 surgery's and been off work since.

What does this have to do with karting? Nothing and everything. Just because you walked away from being trapped in a kart before does not mean you will always walk away.

My first bad wreck 1995, ran into a guy and got hammered from behind, end over end flip in a straight kart with high sides, stayed in it, knocked me out, got my brand new bell racestar 3 helmet cut off of me...fast forward to 2021, telling everybody how I hate the little swoop body and seat with no left side to it, flip it, and it kicks me out like a rag doll and I'm thinking, I'd rather come out of it than stay in it for sure

Back