In the market for a new Scythe?

gcashwell

I am looking to purchase a new go kart. I am a relative newcomer to the sport, but have been doing it long enough to know I love it.

I have been researching what new kart to buy. It seems like the Scythe is a very nice kart, but I haven’t seen many in the wild. Are they very tire friendly? Is there anything better?

There is NO very tire friendly chassis out there that anyone makes, with that being said the Scythe is supposed to be not as tire sensitive as the Recon or the Deuce are, making it closer to the triton.

We have 3 scythe just put other together ran it and fast right out the gate should have won 2 classes.we've only raced other 2 karts twice been fast with them and really free driving with our changes..

We just bought a Scythe last week, haven't got to run it yet. However there have been a few people already trading theirs in for other chassis. The complaint that we're hearing is that the Scythe is tight and can't be freed up. We hope that's not the case... Anyone else experiencing this with the Scythe?

We just bought a Scythe last week, haven't got to run it yet. However there have been a few people already trading theirs in for other chassis. The complaint that we're hearing is that the Scythe is tight and can't be freed up. We hope that's not the case... Anyone else experiencing this with the Scythe?
I personally know of 5 people that have bought a new Scythe and have sold it already. Most of these drivers raced 375 & 425. I'm guessing the thin wall tubing in the Scythe creates the effect these drivers aren't used to and don't care for. With that said, we have not rode one. We were successful on our Recons so I'd buy a Scythe if the price was right.

Thanks bowtie, that is some reassuring news. All that tight talk had us concerned, Phantom has been working with us on set up suggestions. We'll be trying the Scythe out tomorrow for the first time.

How did it go?
We qualified 8th out of 9 karts. Ended up finishing 2nd. Was running 5th with a crash in in turn 4 on the last lap is how we got 2nd. We do feel like we have something to work with. We did have some engine issues during practice, and feel like we could've qualified better if we hadn't had those setbacks.

We qualified 8th out of 9 karts. Ended up finishing 2nd. Was running 5th with a crash in in turn 4 on the last lap is how we got 2nd. We do feel like we have something to work with. We did have some engine issues during practice, and feel like we could've qualified better if we hadn't had those setbacks.
I’m glad you think it’s a good kart.

I thought this kart was to be very similar to the triton. It seems to me that these guys selling after 4 to 6 weekends, which they most like running at least 3 classes. So thats 12 18 races in that amount of time. I hope it wouldn't be because of the kart flexing out and not holding numbers.
Then if you go and look at their kart history the triton was the longest made and most popular chassis, that should tell them something. How many different chassis have they came out with in the last 5 years. That should tell the consumer something also.

I thought this kart was to be very similar to the triton. It seems to me that these guys selling after 4 to 6 weekends, which they most like running at least 3 classes. So thats 12 18 races in that amount of time. I hope it wouldn't be because of the kart flexing out and not holding numbers.
Then if you go and look at their kart history the triton was the longest made and most popular chassis, that should tell them something. How many different chassis have they came out with in the last 5 years. That should tell the consumer something also.
I don’t understand what you are getting at. My recon holds numbers until I hit something. Are you saying the scythe wears out after 12 races or they aren’t assembled correctly, or what?

I don’t understand what you are getting at. My recon holds numbers until I hit something. Are you saying the scythe wears out after 12 races or they aren’t assembled correctly, or what?
If you look back every chassis since the triton has been like this. I do know that the minicon was made with thin wall tubing which gave it more flex.
I'm just saying if it's not broke don't fix it. Why do think alot of local guy's still run the triton,just saying

If you look back every chassis since the triton has been like this. I do know that the minicon was made with thin wall tubing which gave it more flex.
I'm just saying if it's not broke don't fix it. Why do think alot of local guy's still run the triton,just saying
I think I get what you are saying. Phantom has done well building different karts for different tastes. Take, for example, the deuce. It’s not for me. It’s an advanced kart that requires perfect tires. It also has a higher ceiling for straightaway speed than any other kart on the market. If you get the tires right, it will win, but that is hard to do.
The triton is good because it is very tire forgiving. A perfect triton will be a good bit slower than a perfect deuce, but the triton is much less sensitive to tires.
The scythe is supposed to try to be as insensitive as the triton with a roll speed nearing that of a deuce.

I like having options.

Not sure were u guys r but down here south east the scythe is putting it on them on local events not just ours but other teams with them as well..

Not sure were u guys r but down here south east the scythe is putting it on them on local events not just ours but other teams with them as well..
I’m in the south east. I have noticed the same. It’s a large reason why I made the decision I did. I’m racing on Saturday.

Back